“PS3 Owners Have a Finer Taste in art” – Journey Dev

ps3boldnew

PlayStation 3 gamers have a deeper proclivity for artistic games than Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii users

“The player who owns a PlayStation 3 is more likely to be interested in artistic games compared to Wii and Xbox 360.”

Expanding on his claim, Chen said titles offered on Sony platforms are aimed at an older crowd, and suggested the publisher seeks to promote titles that users can emotionally connect with.

“Sony has a more artistic and adult-focused taste,” he said. “They care about how grown-ups feel toward their games.”

In a statement provided to VentureBeat, PlayStation senior director of digital platforms Jack Buser agreed with Chen’s assessment.

“Our primary PSN audience is indeed more adult, and many of our best-selling titles appeal to this demographic,” reads a line from the statement. “Many PlayStation and PSN games have themes that require a user to think and feel about a deep, immersive gameplay experience, and we see that exemplified in the success of titles like Flower, Journey, and Heavy Rain. Titles like these can only be found on PlayStation, and our users enjoy the emotional and thematic sophistication of their games, especially with our digital offerings.”

Author: Matthew DeVito View all posts by
Video Producer at Gamesthirst. I'm a YouTube commentator at heart but love to make content for everyone to see. Have a good one. - The Don of Halo

9 Comments on "“PS3 Owners Have a Finer Taste in art” – Journey Dev"

1. nick May 9, 2012 at 6:39 am -

other publishers are much more play it safe they wont delve away from what they know, they always stay in their comfort zone.
    you dont go to XBLA expecting games like flower or journey because M$ would not publish them because there too risky.
    so of course theres going to be a larger market on PSN!

2. Ernice Gilbert May 9, 2012 at 6:41 am -

“its not that their audience appreciate it more, its that $ony are the only ones willing to take a risk on these types of things!”

Well said.

3. benzo May 9, 2012 at 6:46 am -

I agree with Nick,but I also think that the PS3 crowd is a little more mature than the 360 and Wii crowd. I think I saw a demographic study that said the average age of ps3 owners is around 30yrs old,where as 360 is closer to 21yrs old.

4. Ernice Gilbert May 9, 2012 at 6:50 am -

You’re right Benzo. Most PS3 gamers came from the old school… From SNES to PSone, PS2 then PS3…. Xbox came in a bit later, hence the age and maturity difference. Not all, but some.

5. benzo May 9, 2012 at 6:57 am -

@ EG…both platforms could us a little more mature audience to be honest lol

6. Ernice Gilbert May 9, 2012 at 7:00 am -

Haha, true. I sometimes get to playing games on PS3 and I turn off my mic immediately. The kids. The kids. The KIDS on PS3 are anNoYinG :D

7. benzo May 9, 2012 at 7:07 am -

I was playing Warhawk a few yrs back and getting my butt kicked. This guy was swearin like a sailor and calling me n***er and a dumb ch**k…so I decided to cut off the mic. But b4 I did….I heard this little timid kids voice say “hey mom,can I have some lemonade?” I was annoyed,pissed,and laughing my butt off all at the same time!! So yes EG…they are THE ANNOYING!!!

8. Ernice Gilbert May 9, 2012 at 7:12 am -

LOLOLOLOL!!! Hahaha. I’ve heard similar. LOL. That’s funny.

9. narwall14 May 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm -

yeah i never get why they let little kids play M games smh