Internal Nintendo Doc Shows Project Cafe’s True Specs, Destroys The Competition

by Ernice Gilbert on May 31st, 2011, under Hot, News, Nintendo

NeoGAF’s leaked an internal Nintendo document showing off for the first time the firm’s new console’s specs, and to be quite honest, that thing is beastly. We kid you not: It’s compatible with GameCube and Wii. Blu-Ray with up to 50GB storage capacity. Hard drive 250-320 capacity and 1080p video output – and that’s just to name a few.

Here’s the document:

There’s no denying it, if Project Cafe’s really this powerful, I’m in.

1. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 7:19 am

That’s interesting. I am not in yet. I wanna see the controls and what type of games are on the thing. If I do eventually buy one it will be to get my Mario fix. LOL!!!!

2. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 7:57 am

I heard BF3 and even MW3 will be on the next console. If so, that’s just crazy with these specs.

3. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:07 am

Nanotechnology?

4. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:25 am

Specs are fun and all but if the control is another gimmick like the wii then I will not waste my time. I am old fashioned…give me a traditional controller. All this Wii remotes, PS MOVE and other motion controller crap is starting to annoy me. Too much focus is going into these gimmicks and not the actual GAMES.

5. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:27 am

@GAME: indeed. The specs are impressive!

6. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:27 am

@CLANK: I agree. I was never moved by MOVE and Wii or Kinect. Never will. Give me games…

7. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:34 am

Nintendo means business. I will buy this if true and price is reasonable.

8. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:36 am

We have HD and 3D…I think it would be wise to slow down and return to basics. Too much of anything can ruin a good thing…if you know what i mean. And all this additional crap they are adding to games these days is starting to ruin games. Well for me anyways.

9. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:40 am

I too am not a fan of the motion control craze, but to the firms credit, people have been buying them like hotcakes and money is there. Wii made Nintendo billions, Kinect’s sold over 10 million units and has become the fastest selling tech device of all time. And PS Move is also doing extremely well, selling well past 6 million…We may not like it, but money’s definitely there.

10. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:40 am

Sole has some very good points there, CLANK.

11. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:52 am

Yes…good points and I can’t argue with that. But just because something sells well doesn’t mean that it is good. Fast food, cigarettes and drugs all make some one tons of money. But some would rather have these items wipes from this world and the next. Motion controls has broadened the market place and appeals to many casual gamers. That’s great. But many games will suffer. Great example…a game like SOCOM 4. The typical SOCOM 4 does not care about motion controls. But Sony may have forced the MOVE agenda onto Zipper. So time spend on gameplay, maps, and a better campaign may have been wasted on incorperating the MOVE and Sharpshooter into the game.

12. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:54 am

“the typical SOCOM fan does not care about motion controls”

13. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 8:57 am

True points…

14. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 9:00 am

Okay CLANK, you’re right. But do you think the Cigarette makers care about whether they’re killing people? No. They want to make money. Also, the casual gamers who found their way into the industry via motion controls, will most likely graduate from there and become “real gamers”, hence broadening the industry’s reach and scope. I think it’s a win-win. And from what I’ve heard, it doesn’t take much effort to integrate Move…..Kinect is a different story – but again, these devices make millions happy, and add billions to an industry that more than needs it.

15. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 9:01 am

Rather healthy talk here.

16. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 9:19 am

I am all for broadening the gaming market but at what expense. I have been gaming for well over 20 years and I am not will to accept or support a feature or new element that dumbs down games or game franchises that I have loved for many years. That’s a slap in the face for the “Real Gamers”. So much time, money and effort is being put into attracting this casual gamers. And a lot of these folks have put down their wiimotes years ago. Yes…some have gotten into gaming but to many, it was just a phase. What happens to the real gamers…the ones who spend the real more than 5 times the amount of money a year on their gaming habits. We are left with shorter campaigns and stories, extremely easy games, and features many of us do not care too much for. The industry caters to the casuals more than the diehard gamers these days and I hate that. A few years down the road many of them will get over their gamer phase and we will be stuck with all the casual gamer oriented junk.

17. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 9:32 am

In my opinion, here’s the summation: the big three should continue to deliver great experiences to the hardcore and leave it untethered. Meaning, do not cut development to cater to the casuals. At the same time, the casual market must be pursued because, like Sole said, it’s a VERY lucrative market. The numbers don’t lie. Should it be shoved down everyone’s throats? No. That’s like forcing me to marry a woman I deplore; but it should be placed as an option just in case I’d like to “check it out”.

So both should be pursued, then. Because at the end of the day both are important. Nonetheless the “core” crowd should always be treated with respect, as it’s said crowd who come back faithfully and buy more content than any other demographic.

18. Tue, 31st May 2011 at 9:46 am

Agreed Gilbert. Well said.

19. Wed, 1st Jun 2011 at 5:11 am

totally 100% fake!
    1 XDR2 RAM is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR too expensive!
    2 512MBs is just stupid, putting that little RAM with such a powerful CPU is like hiring a crane to lift a packet of chips!
    3 ninty NEVER develop custom disks for there consoles, too expensive, convincing and development costs would be through the roof!
    4 that video card is pretty pathetic, i mean come on there releasing a CPU which could run with todays PCs but then a GPU which is about 4 years old in PC terms!
    if thats real ninty are going to end up with one massive bill, and one useless console!
    you either go all out, or cheap out!
    thats all out on 2 components, but then cheap out on the rest.
    especially the RAM, any less then 1GB and it will be obsolete!
    current games are struggling with 512MBs of ram, let alone next gen games!

20. Wed, 1st Jun 2011 at 6:36 am

So this is fake, then. Crap. And here I was rejoicing! But I believe you though.

21. Wed, 1st Jun 2011 at 10:16 am

i dont think ninty are that stupid.
    what they have up there is a V12 in a tank.
    if your going to make a sports car you make it light, then a powerful but light engine, then couple it with light but strong components to take the grunt.
    what ninty has up there is a V12, but in a tank, with components that would break because they cant handle the power.
    the GPU would be causing a MASSIVE bottleneck!
    id be like sending 4 lanes of full traffic into one lane, you would cause a massive traffic jam!
    the CPU would be done with its work, and would be waiting forever for the rest of the components to do there work.
    i think the CPU is a little overkill, i mean most CPUs in modern PCs today are only quad core 2.6 – 3 on turbo boost but thats a high end gaming PC not a console!
    i cant see them using that CPU because 1 it would be so expensive, 2 in that configuration a massive waste, and 3 to have components to match it you would be spending a fortune!
    cant believe everything you see on the internet, its surprisingly simple to whip up a document like this in photoshop!
    why someone would do that though is beyond me!

22. Wed, 1st Jun 2011 at 10:19 am

Yet it would be cool if they can release something that’s way more powerful than PS3 and 360….Plus if it comes day one with titles like BF3 and Modern Warfare 3 to enhance a Nintendo online service? Ah, that’d be great.

23. Thu, 2nd Jun 2011 at 9:19 am

absolutely would be cool!
    too expensive though.
    id love to see project cafe have a 3GHz quad core, custom GPU based off the GTX 290, 1GB of XDR2 RAM, 126GB SSD, bluray slot loader, dedicated HD processor for upgrading wii and gamecube games, and a HD sound encoder to improve sound effects.
    thats fairly reasonable, ninty should be able to whip that up and make a healthy profit at say 600 here which is only 100 more then the 160GB ps3, and same as the 320.