For David Cage, “Content Is Key To Everything”

After it was made known that Heavy Rain had sold over 1.5 million copies just a few months after being released, Quantic Dream boss, David Cage had become more of an important voice in the gaming industry. Not that he wasn’t already, but when you’ve created a new IP that has created a new genre of games, one that many thought would fail but yet managed to garner widespread critical success and blow away all expectations at retail, people start to listen more intently to what you’re saying.

Cage was speaking recently about the advent of motion gaming, and what he thinks about the incessant drive in that direction by the companies. To him, it’s not a bad thing, but if content is not created to keep the right people interested, it’ll eventually fall apart.

For him, “content is key to everything.”

“For me, emotion is everything,” Cage said speaking to GamesTM. “If you can create an experience that is emotionally engaging and though provoking I don’t have anything against using motion control. But are motion controllers the magic solution to our content issues? I don’t think so.

Yes, it will be a very useful device for many people who have difficulties using the standard controllers, but if we cannot offer anything more than tennis games we are not going to hold their interest for very long. Content is the key to everything. Once you have the right content, you can make it work with any type of device.”

For those who didn’t know, there’s a “Move Edition” Heavy Rain incoming, but as you can see, that doesn’t necessarily mean Cage’s team will be dedicating future projects to the new technology.

Cage is a man who feels liberated, he said “breaking free” from the traditional patterns and structures in gaming today was very important to him, and that we need something new for the future.

In fact, the man’s so passionate about his stance that if Heavy Rain had flopped, he “probably would have left the industry.”

“My point of view is certainly very marginal in the industry right now, but I continue to believe that the future of games lies in reaching an adult audience, not the way the Wii does, but in creating interactive experiences that carry depth and meaning, and trigger complex emotions. We should invent new ways of playing to get rid of loops, mechanics and patterns, as well as stop limiting ourselves to ultra-violent themes,” he said.

Ultimately, Cage is calling on developers to try new things. Things that would propel the industry forward in a positive light, forcing others to take the entertainment form seriously.

10 Comments on "For David Cage, “Content Is Key To Everything”"

1. ExclusivesMostly September 2, 2010 at 10:52 am -

Recently traded in five games at gamestop (30% extra credit with 5 or more). Heavy Rain was one if them because of the lack of DLC (Sony’s fault, I know).
    I’ll probably get their new game whenever it comes out because I have a feeling it’ll be something special like Heavy Rain.

2. Ernice Gilbert September 2, 2010 at 10:56 am -

You should keep that game. At least for your collection, but that’s if you were a collector…… Some games you just don’t trade….

I think I’m from the oldschool

3. ExclusivesMostly September 2, 2010 at 11:16 am -

Hmmm…I sense an interesting weekend quencher topic here. Anyways I’ve had it since launch day and initially my intention was to keep it forever but with the promised DLC being canned I just didn’t feel the same about it anymore. I’ve felt this way for a while but just decided recently about it’s fate. And yes some games I own will never be traded: Uncharted 2 and GOW3 to name a few.

4. Ernice Gilbert September 2, 2010 at 11:21 am -

Yep, it’s now been set in motion, Weekend Quencher will be interested indeed. I dunno, even if DLC never comes, Heavy Rain has set a new standard; even creating a new genre. That’s a game I’ll keep.

5. ExclusivesMostly September 2, 2010 at 11:32 am -

I really wanted the back stories but you’re right, even without them it is a great game. I’ll probably pick it up out the clearance bin in a couple years just for that.

6. Ernice Gilbert September 2, 2010 at 11:34 am -

Amen to that. Wait till it’s dirt cheap. You might want to give it another run down the line….

7. nick September 3, 2010 at 4:10 am -

of course it is, as i said the other day content is everything!
    take the ps3 and 360 here, the 360 S the new one with a 250GB HDD is 100 bucks cheaper than the ps3 and has a larger HDD and looks WAY better!
    but which one are people going to choose?
    save 100 bucks and get the system with 1 decent exclusive this year?
    or spend that extra 100 and get the system with 3 good exclusives this year?
    i sure know which one id go for!
    content is everything, if your product offers more than people will be willing to pay more for it.
    have no content, and well, no matter how cheap it is no ones going to buy it!

8. Ernice Gilbert September 3, 2010 at 6:36 am -

Good points, Nick. You need exclusive games…

9. nick September 3, 2010 at 10:54 am -

bloody oath you do!
    to a certain point MP games help, but 99.9999999999% of the time MP games are about 1 tenth as good as exclusive games.
    if you want your system to sell well all you need to do is give it lots, and lots of exclusive content.
    shock and awe, just like what sony are doing with the ps3, flooding it with fantastic AAA exclusives!
    M$ either need to step up there game, or release a new system ASAP.
    next year they can ride on MP games, but come late next year the 360 is really going to start showing its age if they dont start releasing exclusives like what sony are.

10. Ernice Gilbert September 3, 2010 at 11:41 am -