In an interview with the ultimate troll (going bandaged to GDC, representing a fake studio), Hideo Kojima, the man explains what some couldn’t understand upon reveal (admittedly, it was a bit confusing at first), and adds some facts in there, too.
The video, courtesy of GameTrailers.com, sees Kojima explain:
- Ground Zeroes comes first and then Phantom Pain, as Ground Zeroes “eases us” into the sneaking and the new, open world, while The Phantom Pain is a full-blown game. Think of Ground Zeroes as a meatier “Tanker Chapter” from MGS2, and “Plant Chapter” as The Phantom Pain. Both are two different games, but both make up Metal Gear Solid V (pay attention to that V — it’s intentionally not a 5).
- David Hayter will not reprise his role as Snake, simply because the Big Boss is a normal man, and his voice changes. Wouldn’t make sense to have two David Hayters speak to each other now, would it? Think of a certain game when this was possible.
- Ground Zeroes takes place almost immediately after Peace Walker, while The Phantom Pain is late by around 9 years.
- Complete open world based around “realistic infiltration”, letting you choose how to infiltrate, where to infiltrate, and what time is best to do it. There could be side missions along the way that affect your objective.
- Big Boss is the only playable character
- Game is 80% realistic, 20% sci-fi/fantasy (burning unicorns and whales, and aliens shootin’ lasers)
There you have it. Feeling everything has cleaned up now?