The Reasons Why I Will Boycott Battlefield 3

by Ernice Gilbert on August 21st, 2011, under EA, FPS, Hot, Opinion Piece, PC, PS3, Xbox 360

It’s been a long and dirty ride to this point. For over five years and counting, Activision’s Call of Duty franchise has totally and unequivocally dominated the first-person shooter genre, leaving all other franchises miles behind. But why? The answer’s simple: Ever since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the shooter’s taken off to astronomic heights, becoming more than a game, but rather part of American and even European culture. You probably never heard of, say, The Elder Scrolls, but mention Call Of Duty, and persons who’ve never touched a vidoegames console will know what you’re talking about.

But just like anything or person that’s been at the top for ‘too long’, hate started building. Not from the fans of Call of Duty, mind you, but rahter from jealous onlookers who revel in the fall of another. In fact they’d back anything to their own detriment just to see the ruling king fall, and sadly, that’s the case with many gamers these days, quintessentially with the MW3 vs BF3 war. Yet, it’s not only the gamers who are turning me off DICE’s stellar shooter, but more so EA. The company’s attitude is really starting to get to me now, and because of it I’m on the verge of boycotting all things EA, beginning with its biggest risk yet: Battlefield 3.

Why Battlefield 3? Because it’s EA’s biggest bet, and the publisher really needs to learn what to say and when. Why would you want Call of Duty to “rot from the core, according to EA boss John Riccitiello?. As the weeks pass it seems EA’s becoming all the more immature with its statements, and blatant Call of Duty attacks. Also, it wouldn’t be too bad if Activision was flinging dirt EA’s way alike, but the publisher’s remained quiet, trying its best to stay out of the fray, and even went as far as to try and bring peace to the situation.

Here’s Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg:

“Competition is of course a good thing,” He said. “It keeps us all on our toes and ultimately makes the games better. It’s healthy. But it’s one thing to want your game to succeed and another thing to actively, publicly say you want other games to fail.”

He then spoke on Riccitiello’s Call of Duty bad-mouthing: “Recently a competitor of ours was quoted as saying that he wants to see Call of Duty ‘rot from the core’. I’ve been asked countless times to respond to this comment and I’ve generally chosen not to,” he said. “My job is to help our incredibly talented, passionate teams to make the best games they can, not to throw insults around at others. But I actually feel this kind of rhetoric is bad for our industry.

Can you imagine the head of Dreamworks animation coming out with a new movie and going to the press and saying that he wants Toy Story to ‘rot from the core’? It’s kind of hard to imagine, right?”

Hirshberg was obviously trying to stop the stupid war of words, hoping EA would cease on the opportunity and in turn send some kind words the other way. You must understand, the “rot from the core” statement wasn’t EA’s first dig against Call Of Duty; not by a long shot. EA’s said in the past very damning things about Activision’s franchise, yet Activision hasn’t responded with negativity. EA’s latest outburst, however, takes the cake, and to add insult to injury, it was in response to Hirshberg’s olive branch.

“Welcome to the big leagues Eric,” Jeff Brown, EA corporate communications boss told Industry Gamers in response to Hirshberg’s GamesCom 2011 keynote. “I know you’re new in the job but someone should have told you this is an competitive industry. You’ve got every reason to be nervous. Last year Activision had a 90 share in the shooter category. This year, Battlefield 3 is going to take you down to 60 or 70. At that rate, you’ll be out of the category in 2-3 years. If you don’t believe me, go to the store and try to buy a copy of Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk.”

What kind of response was that? It’s the most childish and unprofessional piece of talk I’ve heard in a long, long time – yet I’m not surprised. EA’s childish behavior’s been getting worse by the day and I’ve arrived to my limit.

Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, Fifa 12 and all other known EA games stand the risk of not getting my money; and many other gamers who are sensitive to this kind of rubbish will do the same. A message must be sent.

Pride goes before a fall, and where there is arrogance, pride lurks. EA’s not even to the top yet, (probably never will be) and yet their pride is having the best of them. Modern Warfare 3 will ultimate mop the floor with Battlefield 3, and even more so now EA’s executives are acting like little children. You want you game to do good, then develop it proper, but don’t hit the competition with vile, derogatory words which only hurts the industry in multiple ways, sending gamers further apart and painting a picture of immaturity all about.

See, I don’t need to play BF3, it will be a great shooter undoubtedly, but there are many other great shooters coming out that I can give my money to. I’m not dying to play Battlefield 3 at all.

And as for the Battlfield 3 fans….

Recently Ben Dutka of PSXextreme asked a simple question: How Many BF3 Lovers Are Just MW3 Haters? Which got me thinking. I’m starting to believe many of the Battlefield 3 fans just want to see Modern Warfare 3 die; they’ll support anything but the reigning king, whether said king’s been doing a great job or not. It’s like getting rid of something good because of animosity towards it for no other reasons than its success. I sincerely hope the aforementioned does not describe you.

To close, there’s no doubt in my mind that Battlefield 3 will be a great game, that’s not the point. Sometimes you have to stand for something, and if EA continues down their stinking path of criticizing the competition without a cause, I will not buy Battlefield 3.

1. Sun, 21st Aug 2011 at 11:30 am

Well said Ernice. This whole feud between these two needs to dial down a bit, EA needs to realize that being arrogant, wont get you record sales, or more fans, all it will do is create more hatred. I used to like EA, but now my respect for them is slowly diminishing. It’s sad that a bunch of grown men, need to rude words and talk crap about Activision. Sure, Activision is money hungry but, still. Grow up EA, no one is impressed by your verbal herassment, some may be, but those are all the unintelligent little children. Also, I think you are right ernice, a lot of COD Fan Boys only like Battlefield because they think it will take down COD. It’s stupid. Anyay, nice article as always Ernice. :)

2. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 3:33 am

i swear to god if i hear MW3 VS BF3 once more my heads going to freaking explode!
    this is getting out of hand, and i thought the forza VS GT5 debacle was bad!
    can we just let it go till the games release?
    please?

3. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 5:36 am

@Kai, thanks bro.

4. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 5:37 am

@Nick: Did you even read the thread? This isn’t about MW3 vs BF3, this is about EA”s childish behavior.

5. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 8:49 am

Activision is not without its faults too. In fact, the amount of bragging they did before BF3 started poking its face out was ridiculous. It’s about time they had a competitor and maybe the quality of their game will increase. Competition is good for the consumer as it drives innovation, and whether you agree with the methods or not it’s not going anywhere. By the way, I plan to buy both games. I don’t understand why it has to be one or the other.

6. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 9:20 am

“I’m starting to feel like this site is the Fox News of game reporting. Lots of subjective drivel and no real “news.”” If you’ve been hear long enough then you know that’s not true. Plus, no one is saying competition isn’t good, in fact it’s, like you said, what the industry needs in order for our games to be developed at higher quality levels. EA’s standards and methods, however, is what’s the problem here. No one is saying don’t brag about your game, everyone should if they believe their product is A+, but talking rubbish about how a franchise that has changed the gaming industry should “rot to the core”, and how it’ll die in three years, and how it’ll be come the next guitar hero, is the most childish and unprofessional nonsense I’ve heard from a publisher in a long time. No wonder this industry gets stereotyped so often. And yes, if this continues, it’ll leave a distaste in my mouth, forcing me to ignore the game. I’m serious.

7. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 10:02 am

On side a note it seems like this whole EA vs Activision battle took an ugly turn when West and Zampella fled from Activision to EA and when Activistion outbid EA for Bungie every since then it has been No Holds Barred!

8. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 10:08 am

That’s true, os1019. And as noted in the opinion piece, I’m sure BF3 will be a great game. But, again, sometimes we must take a stand. The gaming industry is better than this, and since we’ve got no strings attached unlike other media outlets, we can afford to speak the truth.

9. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 10:22 am

what does that have to do with it?
    all i said was im starting to get sick of all these stupid articles thats all!
    dont fire your gun before you pull it out of the holster, you might hurt yourself!

10. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 10:32 am

You’re not making sense Nick.

11. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 2:17 pm

I am sorry but Activison is NO saint and has said their fair share of childish things in the past. I am not saying that the EA Games Exec is right but I much rather support EA Games than Activision. As a gamer in today’s economy We ALL look for value and if you know anything about games you would see that the past Call of Duty games are total rip-offs to the consumer. THE SAME ENGINE FOR 4 games??? PLEASE…that is just cheap. And we ALL now that this franchise is making money by the truck loads. So why are they not spending it?? It is simple, because many gamers seem to like the mediocre product that is today’s Call of Duty game. And I was a huge fan of this series but I will go were the quality. And Battlefield 3 seems to be a better shooter than MW3…FOR ME. The list you mentioned shows EA Game’s dedication to QUALITY games, and the are not afraid to spend the money to improve their stronger franchises. The new Battlefield, FIFA, Need for Speed and Mass Effect are all shaping up to be great games. If anyone needs to learn a lesson,it’s Activision. And I will not buy another Call of Duty title until they spend some money on improving the franchise.

12. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 2:25 pm

I respect your opinion, bro. I really do, that’s what this is about. But maybe you don’t know this, Call of Duty games have had the biggest budgets in Video Games history, Modern Warfare 3′s budget is $200 million. Yes, bigger than any other game and most movies. You talk about engine, but all Battlefield games, save BF3 have ran on the first frostbite, BF3 is the only change. Fifa games, Uncharted games – and many other titles run on engines that’s been used over and over again, with simple upgrades. As for quality, I found Black Ops to be good, and the reviews showed that, the multiplayer had some issues because of the lack of dedicated servers, but it’s one of the better games on the market, to be honest, and that’s why it’s the biggest entertainment launch of all time, and the best selling game of all time. You can’t deny the facts.

I just hope EA grows up, because their attitude is simply embarrassing.

13. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 5:36 pm

Naughty Dog’s Uncharted games are ALWAYS improved. very little is the same in any Uncharted game. And this is why Naughty Dog is in a league of their own…Trey Arch will never develop games of that caliber. As for FIFA…another series that always improves from a technical standpoint. Take FIFA 12 for example…their new collision physics engine has created a big buzz amonst developers. Even DICE wanted to get their hands on the new tech for BF3.

14. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 5:49 pm

Let’s talk game development budgets. First, I would like to correct you and say that MW3′s “development” budget is not $200 million. Maybe it is closer to the $40 million mark and they are spending the rest on marketing. One of the most expensive FPS’s to date is actually Killzone 2 which cost about $45-$50 million to make. Look at Gran Turismo 5…technically this is the best game on ANY console. And GT5′s budget didn’t even break the $100 million mark. And Uncharted 2…that little game that won ALL those awards and is by far one of the best games this generation only cost $20 million to develop. The game with the highest development budget is actually GTA IV and it just pasted the $100 million mark. Trust me…MW3 will not cost more than $30 million to develop.

15. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 6:01 pm

I can provide links, give me some of the links which confirms what you’re saying.

16. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 7:00 pm

I have to agree with Ernice there. EA’s path as of late has been rather distasteful. Not sure I’ll join the boycotting efforts, but I certainly see where his coming from. Good read.

17. Mon, 22nd Aug 2011 at 7:02 pm