Weekend Quencher 17/06/11 – Battlefield 3 Edition

by Ernice Gilbert on June 17th, 2011, under Games Thirst, Other Stuff

Yes, my friends. DICE and EA are the recipients of a lot of free press on Gamesthirst today, and that’s alright. Question is, with the battle of the shooters happening as we speak, with a climax coming in October and November, have you made up your mind on which shooter, if any, you’ll purchase? I for one will get Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3, so it’s rather easy, and at the end of the day, when companies battle for the top spot, we as gamers win. So I say let them fight.

It’s the weekend, folks, what else is new?

I’m honestly really tired, so I’ll be staying in all weekend, chilling with my beautiful woman. I’ll surely jump in some Killzone 3 action, and finally start SOCOM 4. Other than that, Sunday’s Father’s Day, so I’ll visit my parents Saturday night (they’re having a grand party) and get home in the wee hours of the morning. Sunday it’s church and later that same day my wife and I will probably watch some movies.

That’s my weekend. How about yours?

1. Fri, 17th Jun 2011 at 11:27 pm

I just got off work and played the awesome Resistance 3 demo on the Battle: LA Blu-Ray, which is a pretty good movie. For the rest of the weekend, I will be spending time with the family tomorrow, and then I have work Sunday, and when I can, I will be playing Alice: Madness Returns and Duke Nukem Forever to try to get those reviews up soon.

2. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 4:07 am

finally got my 2nd modules work today so i gotta try get as much of that done as i can.
    gotta get 5 months of work done in 3, how the hell am i suppose to do that!?
    had a family friends conformation on last night, i was the sponsor was a really nice night nice that the rain held out.
    tomorrows is his communion so ill be spending most of the day at that.
    then mondays my cuzs mums mums funeral, so quite a busy 3 days.
    i think im almost finished infamous 2, so far exactly what i expected except one thing.
    the powers feel REALLY weak!
    in the original i could throw a grenade at the center of 4 enemies and kill all 4.
    this game though no matter which grenade i use i only get 1, 2 if im lucky!
    its the same with every weapon, they just feel so much weaker then in the original!
    i dont like the new weapon system either, in the original you had the best of both worlds on allot of things, but now you have to choose one.
    the grenade for example in the original the grenade had sticky ability, cluster ability and was quite powerful.
    now though you can only have one of those, instead of having the combination of the 3.
    in the original you could use a sticky to stick to a enemy but it also had the power of a alpha grenade.
    now it does not, you either choose the power or the stick ability.
    allot of weapons are like that now, i just wish they kept the powers the way they were then add new powers like the electrocution grenade, instead of separating the best parts of the original!
    besides that a fantastic game, especially for a open world game its beautiful!
    so much color, variety of cities, each area has a different vibe to it.

3. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 5:49 am

@ Josh: Nice. Looking forward to those? How’s work coming, and what do you make of all this BF3 news and controversy?

4. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 5:50 am

@Nick: Well at least you’re getting closer, good stuff. What do you think of all this Battlefield 3 on PS3 noise that’s been going on?

5. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 8:31 am

I will get Battlefield 3 first. With so many other games I want to get, I think I will just pick up one of the 2 big FPS’s. Lets see here…Mass Effect 2, inFamous 2, Dirt 3, Uncharted 3, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, FIFA 12 & Assassin’s Creed Revelations. Damn it…that is a lot of games. I would like to play the MW3 single player so I will pick it up eventually but Battlefield 3 takes priority.

6. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 8:36 am

A lot of games indeed, CLANK. Better start saving up! But yeah, I know a lot of folks will go for Battlefield 3, and later Modern Warfare 3 since the latter releases in November. I’m sure many great games will suffer because of this. Some might just wait for Uncharted which releases on November 1st. I do think though, that EA and DICE false-advertised BF3 a bit. Showing off PC footage of the game and marketing it to the masses, most of whom don’t know it was rendered on PC. I mean, the darn thing was even on PSN. I downloaded it.

7. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 8:44 am

Yeah…I hear that. I knew it was on PC and expected it would not look as good on the consoles but no big deal. As for my list…there are 3 that I MUST HAVE and Uncharted 3, BF3 and ME2…the others will have to wait if I can’t afford them. I work in the Tourism industry and summer is “Off Season” so things are very slow on the work front. No more game purchases for me till the season starts up…gotta watch my pennies. LOL!!!

8. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 8:48 am

@Ernice: The game was false-marketed that’s the truth. It’s no wonder the backlash is coming in hard now… I’ll still buy it. It’s looking great!

9. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 8:51 am

@ CLANK: Yes indeed. Those three titles are great choices. We’re planning a cruise soon, should pass home! Wanna visit with my wife in December; she hasn’t seen the Nature Isle….Yeah, I know, sad. But Christmas is the great time to visit!

10. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 8:54 am

@ Gilbert….sounds good. If you do pass through in December let me know. Maybe we could meet up for a cold Kubuli. LOL!!!

11. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 9:04 am

Haha! Oh most definitely! I’ll let you know – we must “link up”.

12. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 9:58 am

its stupid, to complain about a game from a freaking preview when its not due out for another 4 months is just ridiculous!
    to complain that its not as good as the PC version, well, thats just insanity!

13. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 10:14 am

Nick, you must admit, however, that DICE and EA are to blame for this a bit – they knew this game would be on consoles, but only promoted the PC, graphics-heavy version. And now gamers, some at least, are complaining.

14. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 1:04 pm

It was not like they never made it clear that it was the PC version that was being shown. I really do not see what all the fuss is about. It not false advertising or anything…anyone who thought the console version would look as good as the PC is dreaming. DICE or EA has done nothing wrong…I blame today’s gamers, they complain and fuss over the dumbest things.

15. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 1:53 pm

:D

16. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 1:54 pm

You know what? Let’s just call Battlefield 3 a PC franchise. Because that’s what it’s been from the start, and all will stop complaining.

17. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 3:51 pm

Most of us have played BFBC 2 and the graphics on that game was imprssive so i know this will look great on consoles, better on PC as expected though. no big deal really.
    As for this weekend, i’ll just be chillin @ the crib. i’ll be going on a business trip next week in Tennessee.
    Oh and it’s father’s day Sunday so i’ll be giving my dad a call.

18. Sat, 18th Jun 2011 at 4:55 pm

Hopefully all goes well on your business trip! Doing big things, boi! haha. But yeah – The game will wind up looking good on all platforms. Like you said, BFBC 2 looked amazing on PS3 and Xbox 360. Have a great weekend!

19. Sun, 19th Jun 2011 at 12:07 pm

both are to blame.
    DICEs to blame because they said the console versions would look the same when clearly they dont!
    gamers are to blame for taking the bait and believing it.
    this is what i cant understand about people these days though.
    they bitch and whine because no console footage has been shown, DICE says its not ready to be shown yet but they still demand to see it.
    so its shown and the shit hits the fan!
    what did they expect?
    the whole reason only PC footage had been shown is because its the version thats furtherest along, they dont want to show off early code because as ive said a million times people seem to forget previews will be totally different to the final game.
    ill say it again, people seriously need to learn what demo/ beta means!
    the game will change so much in the next 4 months before release!
    if it was like this with a month till release there still mad for complaining it looks fantastic!
    but its still 4 freaking months, plenty of time to clean things up!
    hopefully both will learn from this.
    hopefully DICE learn not to make promises they cant keep.
    and hopefully people learn to not take things so seriously!

20. Sun, 19th Jun 2011 at 1:57 pm

Nick, DICE said the thing and gamers took it seriously. Why shouldn’t they? DICE has been calling other developers “lazy” and other words because, apparently, they don’t take their time with PS3, but now we’re seeing and hearing a different story because, quite honestly, they’ve failed to deliver.

21. Mon, 20th Jun 2011 at 9:46 am

because its common sense!
    technically they were right because all the features offered by the PC version most people cant tell the difference anyway.
    most people cant tell the difference between 720 and 1080P.
    most people cant tell the difference between higher levels of AA.
    essentially they will look the same, just that the PC version will run allot smoother because of the higher AA, vsync and higher frame rate.

22. Mon, 20th Jun 2011 at 10:32 am

That’s what happens when too many people start talking…Just do your work and let the game speak for itself…