For Sony, Profitability Is What’s Important, Not “Passing” Microsoft

by Ernice Gilbert on February 22nd, 2011, under Hot, News, Sony

While fanboys and gamecats wage war in the name of Microsoft and Sony’s gaming boxes, PlayStation software senior brand manager Scott McCarthy’s taken a different stand on the matter.

For him, beating Microsoft’s install base is an afterthought, the real goal for them is to make tons of cash.

“So do we pass Xbox 360? At the moment, I think we’re trying to just keep up with inventory and trying to move as many units as we can through the channel. It’s also one of those things where, do we notice what Microsoft is doing? Obviously, they are our competition. But is it like we surpass Microsoft or we fail? No,” McCarthy told Industry Gamers. “Our goal is to be profitable and we’re going to achieve that this year and do even better next year.”

He added: “That’s been Nintendo’s position for years. We have a very aggressive plan this year. And when we’re profitable we’re happy. If we happen to close the gap with Microsoft in the meantime, then that’s good too.”

So to my friends on either side of the fence. Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft’s, can we all just get along? After all, these corporate companies executives will sooner or later meet up at massive parties for the wealthy, and drink rum and Redbull whilst they laugh at the silly altercations happening in comment sections of gaming’s web.

Can we, for once, just show mutual respect at least?

God help us.

1. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 8:27 am

which is why i cant see the ps3s price dropping anytime soon.

2. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 9:18 am

I’m sure they’re thinking of software bro. Remember the stand to make more money in software than other venue.

3. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 9:33 am

Nick you made some excellent points in the PS3 massive price drop thread. However, the price drop has already happen in a way. Most retail outlets and Amazon are offering $50 gift cards with the purchase of a PS3 and the Killzone 3 Bundled PS3 is $299, which is a $50, discount as well…
    So it is only a matter of time before Sony makes an actual price cut and they may offset it by tossing in a few games or something of that nature. A PS3 price will push it’s sales through the roof coupled with the lineup they have this year WOW!

4. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 9:52 am

it would help if the NGP was not releasing so soon, but it is so thats going to end up hurting it.
    its going to be really expensive because of the advanced tech in there, so lowering the price of the ps3 means they need to lower the price of the NGP.
    i honestly cant see anyone buying the NGP if its within 50 bucks of a ps3.
    ps3 does so much more then play games, its a media server, its a movie player, its a music player, its a movie streamer.
    all things the NGP cant do.

5. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 9:53 am

Hey OS1019, you own a PS3 yet, bro?

6. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 2:27 pm

@Ernice not yet bro a little birdie told me to at least wait until after GDC which is next week or so from now but it would be better to at least hold out until the spring… I do not know if I can hold out that long but until then I will be playing Killzone 3 over at my Great Uncle’s house. The guy is pushing 92 and is an avid gamer…

7. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 2:55 pm

“The guy is pushing 92 and is an avid gamer…” You have GOT to be kidding me, os1019. Are you serious? Well that’s what I call a hardcore gamer. Also, can’t wait to have you join our Clan. Looking forward to it.

8. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:06 pm

@Ernice he has to be the biggest Killzone 2 fan in the world. We eventually bought him a PS Move and Tiger Woods Golf which he enjoyed. I am quite sure he is enjoying Killzone 3 right now…

9. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:19 pm

Wow! That is indeed awesome.

10. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:20 pm

Is he on PSN?

11. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:21 pm

That’s just too awesome. Anyway, hope you get that console soon. We’ll also be having a Gears 3 meet up the game’s released. I know folks like GAME will love it!

12. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 4:16 pm

@Ernice I believe he is on PSN… I will check… I have not forgot about the Clan. Microsoft and I are going back and forth on me switching my gamertag LONG STORY there but the tag on XBL is OS1019…

13. Tue, 22nd Feb 2011 at 4:32 pm

Great, will add you on there…

14. Wed, 23rd Feb 2011 at 3:54 am
  15. Wed, 23rd Feb 2011 at 6:44 am

So that. No too bad.

16. Wed, 23rd Feb 2011 at 9:33 am

hope its not true, thats pretty much the price of a ps3!
    im sorry, but theres no way in hell its worth the same as a ps3!
    i want a NGP as much if not more then the next guy, but theres no way in hell im paying 500 bucks for one!

17. Wed, 23rd Feb 2011 at 9:45 am