Sony Stock Crash In Wake Of PSN Breach Scandal

by Ernice Gilbert on April 26th, 2011, under Hot, News, PSN, Sony

It’s official, all our information stored on PSN might be in the hands of hackers at the moment, who are probably having a field day with it, and In the light of all the bad press Sony’s fielding because of this, news is now breaking concerning the company’s stock, which, understandably, has taken a steep dive.

Stock monitoring website ‘Market Watch’ has posted an image detailing the company’s stock value history, and looking at it now will make even the most hardcore Sony shareholder cringe.

This happened as soon as news broke that the PlayStation Network had been breached, and that all sensitive information of users, including name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID could be at risk.

These are dark days for Sony… Dark days…

Thanks, XG247.

1. Wed, 27th Apr 2011 at 5:45 am

Not surprising considering the circumstances.
    I just can’t understand how the worlds largest electronic company can have such piss poor security!

2. Wed, 27th Apr 2011 at 7:57 am

It wasnt piss poor due to the fact that it took 5yrs for this to happen. I have locks on my doors,but if someone steals my keys to break in,is it my fault for not having better locks??

3. Wed, 27th Apr 2011 at 9:27 am

Good point Benzo.

4. Wed, 27th Apr 2011 at 10:15 am

It is piss poor the fact that it took five years is just coincidenc.
    This could of happened anytime!
    Now just seemed like a good time with all the bad press Sony is getting lately.
    How is not encrypting people’s account information not piss poor?
    If you worked at a accounting firm and you did that you would be fired so fast your head would spin!

5. Wed, 27th Apr 2011 at 11:05 am

It’s piss poor, I reckon. Shame on Sony.

6. Wed, 27th Apr 2011 at 11:34 am

Anytime you use a credit card you run the risk of your info being stolen, be it on PSN, XBL, Amazon, or the freaking gas station. I refuse to blame Sony for a few richard noggins screwing stuff up. And it isnt a coincidence,considering that all this stuff started with geohot releasing the root key. I also want to say I appreciate the debate Nick. Its actually really cool to be able to have an adult convo with someone online with varying opinions! And I do agree that an accountant would have been axed.

7. Thu, 28th Apr 2011 at 9:32 am

it is a coincidence, only reason it happened now is all the bad press sonys getting, and they have pissed allot of the wrong people off.
    of course your constantly running that risk, but you do so in confidence the required measures are being taken.
    not encrypting users personal info is just ludicrous!
    also, just because one organization does something does not make it ok for others to do so.
    2 wrongs don’t make a right!

8. Thu, 28th Apr 2011 at 10:12 am

Yeah. They’ll rise again though.