PlayStation Plus Is “Very Successful” Says Sony

by Ernice Gilbert on December 4th, 2010, under News, Sony

Sony decided not to follow Microsoft’s Xbox Live way of making money through its online service, a system that charges its users a fee to play games online. It’s a system that’s worked for MS, helping the company make hundreds of millions in profit. Sony saw the potential a chargeable service held, but the giant wasn’t willing to make its own online effort, PSN, one where you’d be forced to pay a fee if you wanted to game.

What the Sony had in mind was to offer a service that would give those who joined, exclusive content that would not be available for regular PSN users, and so they came up with the idea of PlayStation Plus. Thing is, you’re not forced to join, and so the decision’s left to the gamer on whether he’d want to be part of it or not. In other words, it’s not guaranteed money for Sony, and at the end of the day, the content offered is what would entice gamers in.

So how’s it going thus far? According to Sony, [PlayStation Plus] has been “very successful”.

That’s according to Susan Panico, senior director for PlayStation Network, who said Sony’s pleased with the results thus far.

“PSN Plus, we haven’t released figures yet, but in the most recent month, it’s been very successful. We’ve listened to the feedback and have tried to offer the content that they want,” she told the[a]listdaily in a recent interview. “We are running a business, so we had to look at a way to create reoccurring revenue, and we looked to see what would people be willing to pay for and PSN Plus was what we came up with, providing all a lot of great content, exclusive discounts and exclusive access to betas and it enhances the overall experience for fans, but it also has a chance to reach a whole new audience for people who want whole new content.”

Adding: “I’ve been here for 16 years and I think this is one of the most exciting times in our history. We’ve broadened the DVD market with PS2 and now with PS3, you have Blu-ray, network service and coupled with all these fabulous games we have, such as Gran Turismo 5, we’re entertainment flypaper! There’s so much entertainment stickiness on the horizon, we’re really excited.”

Good for them. Have you joined the service? If yes, have you been satisfied? Share your thoughts.

1. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 9:57 am

i have yet to subscribe to ps plus, for me it doesn’t offer anything that’s of importance in my opinion. really it should be call PS discount cause that’s basically all it is a discount service

2. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:11 am

LOL, yeah. That’s an interesting point…. But what can they offer that would set it aside? I’m sure if they make cross-game-chat part of it, like we rumored earlier this year: http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/02/16/ps3-cross-game-chat-to-be-restricted-to-paid-psn-subscribers/

Gamers would lose it on them.

3. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:37 am

@Ghost250:
    I respect your opinion but I couldn’t disagree more. PS plus is an amazing service IMO. I mean I paid $50 bucks for 15 months subscription and I already got my money’s worth.
    From free content (Monthly Free Qore Episodes ($25 bucks for yearly sub if purchased), Free PSN games like Wipeout HD, etc, etc),
    Great discounts (up to 50% off), Exclusive/Early release content
    (like the free upcoming LBP spinoff),
    Beta access (Killzone 3 is awesome),
    Full Game trial (didn’t really think much of it at first but it
    has become one of my favorite features. It gives me a chance to experience games that I might have overlooked in the past for free- Tomb Raider Underworld for example, great game IMO),
    also it automatically downloads game patches (I didn’t have to do anything but play when the GT5, UC2, etc patches were released.
    This is all that comes to my mind ATM. The service will just get better with time (yeah I filled out the surveys letting them know what I want to see).

4. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:43 am

That’s a convincing list of offerings there, ExclusivesMostly. Very much so.

5. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:50 am

Indeed, Ernice:
    Check out what’s in store for December:

6. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:56 am

Oh wow, we must start doing a special “PS Plus Upcoming” piece to inform those who are not aware of all the great offerings.

7. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 11:11 am

8. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 8:27 pm

@ExclusivesMostly, well in the end people are gonna have there own opinions but to me ps plus just offers stuff i dont even want in the first place.

9. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 8:38 pm

PS plus offers stuff that I do really want.

10. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 11:07 pm

its got some ok stuff, wish they would add more betas and more PS1 classics, really there all im interested in.
    doubt ill be renewing mine once its up, not really worth it i mean im spending 70 bucks and am getting maybe 20 bucks off what games i do buy.
    if your one of those who downloads everything than yea its worth it, but if your like me and only downloads maybe 2 PSN games a month its really not worth it.

11. Sun, 5th Dec 2010 at 6:19 am

Varying opinions, but all of you have some solid arguments.