Weekend Quencher 12/03/10 – How It All Began, Edition

by Ernice Gilbert on December 3rd, 2010, under Other Stuff

You’re a bona fide gamer are you not? Nothing will separate you from your console and games of choice. Not bread and cheese, nor the lustful callings of a woman. In fact, you’d cuss vile words at anyone who’d try to steal you joy away by messing with your gaming space. It’s like water to your throat and air to your nose, vision to your eyes and health to your bones.

Yes, gaming makes up at least quarter to half of your life, but can you remember in earnest when and how it all began? Can you sincerely say you know the moment you got hooked? Because that’s what we’ll examine in a nostalgic manner over the weekend: how your gaming journey commenced.

It’s the weekend, friends, what else is new?

Here’s how it happened to me:

It was a Gameboy, the first ones when the graphics were green…..yeah, that’s the only color it rendered. The game was Super Mario Bros, and I’d borrowed the thing from a classmate. And there it began. I got into a lot of trouble for playing all through class –es… And ended up never returning the handheld to the friend I borrowed it from. “It got lost,” I told him.

From there, I passed through the Game Gear from Sega, and every other gaming system since. My first home console was an Atari Jaguar. The games I owned for the system were Iron Soldier and Cybermoth. The former was awesome while the latter was the most frustrating game I’d ever played.

From there, PSone came to life, and long story short, I haven’t stopped gaming since.

As for the weekend, I’ll be Christmas shopping with my lady, as we try and change the entire look of our home… Just bought a brand new 32″ Sony Bravia so we’re looking for ways to compliment it.

Christmas tree and all.

That’s about it.

You? Remember to tell us how your gaming journey started.

Enjoy the weekend.

1. Fri, 3rd Dec 2010 at 9:53 pm

Well the first game system I played was the Atari 2600 and the game was pitfall. It was my dads and I found it downstairs and loved it. I also played a lot in arcades. Then I played Tetris on the original gameboy. Then I moved from the nes, super nes, sega game gear, sega genesis, gameboy color, gameboy advanced, ps1, n64, xbox, and now the xbox 360, and PS3. So I have been gaming a long time and a lot.

2. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 2:36 am

actually i was fortunate to have started out with four game systems. a Sega MAster System, Sega Genisis, NES, & SNES that my dad had stored up. i didnt have anything else for about three years, then i got a gameboy & game gear, i like the game gear better in my opinion. then i moved on to the atari jaguar, sega saturn, ps1 & n64. i know alot of people hated the atari jaguar but i used love playing alien vs predator and rayman on there. then i got a sega dreamcast, gamecube, and ps2. i never did get an original xbox though i didnt like that many games on it. and now i have a ps3 & xbox 360 and i just recently bought a psp and a wii

3. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 2:51 am

first gaming system i started playing games on was the PC, tis why im such a hardcore PC gamer!
    my cuz had a NES but i never bothered buying one, was more than content with my PC games.

4. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 3:40 am

@nick what was the first game you played on the PC.

5. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 6:04 am

Darn it Ghost, you’re gaming’s golden boy.

Also, did you play Iron Soldier for the Jaguar?

6. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 6:05 am

@Nick: Yeah, what was your first PC game? This goes to all you guys to: What was the first game you ever played?

7. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 6:06 am

@Josh: It would have been a dream to play with my dad, man. A dream!

8. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 6:16 am

@ Ernice Gilbert, lol, oh heck yeah almost forgot about Iron Solider, i also forgot about kasumi ninja, did you play that game ernice? my first game i ever played was cyborg hunter for the Sega Master System and believe or not it was published by a certain company i cant stand, i think you know that one ernice….

9. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 6:20 am

Yeah, Activision lol. Everyone hates Acti.

No, didn’t play Kasumi Ninja but Iron Soldier was loads of fun. Never got a chance to beat the last stage!!!! ARRRRHHH!

I’m still pissed about that.

10. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 6:32 am

@Ernice Gilbert, lol me neither dude, ha thats real funny. oh and you shoulder played kasumi ninja there’s nothing like an Irishman that shoots fire from his crotch whenever he lifts up his kilt lol

11. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 6:36 am

LOL!! I should have. Here’s to hoping against hope for a remake, or at least a release on PSN or Xbox Live so I could experience it.

Darn shame Atari had to fail.. Darn shame indeed.

12. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 7:09 am

@Ernice Gilbert, yep definitely wish atari still made systems, and sega too (which i think made the best systems period)

13. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 7:18 am

Yeah, Sega Genesis would one of the best. Saturn was good too…. I love Rocket Knight Adventures on the Genesis! One of the best games I’ve played. See here: http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/01/10/big-games-of-the-last-decade-remakes/

14. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 7:29 am

My first game was Super Mario Bros. on the NES….

That did it for me. I was hooked, still is, until now.

Have a great weekend guys!

15. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 7:32 am

@NewRule: Yeah, that game’s legend. You didn’t say how you got into gaming though….

16. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 9:58 am

Nice WQ topic, Ernice : )
    Well let’s see…hmmm…If I remember correctly Super Mario, Mortal Kombat (arcade), and Tetris were the first games that got me interested. A friend of mine had a game boy and another had the SNES. I never really owned any home console until the N64. Playing Goldeneye on that system was really the moment I started to realize that gaming was gonna be one of my favorite hobbies. I had so much fun playing that game with my friends.
    After the N64 I moved on to the PS2 (Crash Bandicoot was awesome) and now the PS3 (my favorite).

17. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:08 am

Thanks, Mostly. You had a good start too. Golden Eye on the 64 for revolutionary in its day indeed. And Mortal Kombat was rather big. Crash Bandicoot had me all excited too. Great choices them all.

18. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:30 am

@ExclusivesMostly: So you never had an encounter with the Atari Jaguar? How about The Sega Genesis’ Rocket Knight Adventures?

19. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:48 am

cant remember what the first game that i played was, though i remember playing point blank with my cuz allot on the NES.
    first PC game i can remember playing would be wolfenstein.
    first console game i owned was the original spyro on ps1.

20. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:55 am

I loved Spyro the Dragon for PSone.

21. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 10:58 am

Wolfenstein? What was that about?

22. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 11:01 am

@Ernice: Negative : (
    Oh man, I forgot that my cousin gave me a PS1, that’s where I got introduced to the great Gran Turismo : )

23. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 11:05 am

Ah, ExclusivesMostly, how could you forget that! I think I started with GT2…. I loved that game so much. I had this car….forgot what it was – but it had bad steering and extremely quick acceleration. I killed many a racer with that car!

24. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 11:07 am

Hey Nick, you’re leaving for hawaii on Monday right?

25. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 11:16 am

@Ernice: yeah, fun times!

26. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 11:19 am

indeed.

27. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 2:14 pm

OMG…guys check out this GT5 replay vid of a guy using the X1:

28. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 3:05 pm

What in the God’s world….. Now that’s what I call fast. Whoa!

29. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 3:26 pm

That is awesome. My last final is Tuesday and then it will be all GT5, AC BH, NFS HP, and DEAD NATION. There will be a lot of reviews coming in next couple of weeks. I need some people to jump on some MP on GT5 so that I can get a good feel of the MP for the review. I have been playing some random matches, but I want to play with some people I know so that I can see how fun it is among friends.

30. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 3:53 pm

Okay, I’ll join you soon. How about you ExclusivesMostly, Nick and Ghost -and everyone else with a PS3 and GT5 on here… You guys should join Josh online…

31. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 4:03 pm

@Ernice, is your internet still messing up.

32. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 4:07 pm

Somewhat…. But I’ll be able to get on there with you guys…. It works better late at nights…

33. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 4:11 pm

Do they know why it does that? Do you just live somewhere that has crappy bandwidth?

34. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 5:23 pm

Dude I think that’s exactly it. Because I realize on the Weekends, when many people are on, I can hardly work! I remember once it got so bad that it took me 2hrs to update Games Thirst with, get this, TWO posts. Worst day in posting history.

And to think I pay them $50 a month for that crappy service. I’ll be changing, again, soon.

It seems the more folks that are on, the less bandwidth I’m allowed.

35. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 5:27 pm

Do you know what speed your internet is? You can test it at this website.

It is a great site to test your internet speed. When I lived with my parents, I found out that they were paying for a higher service than they were getting and I found out because of this website.

36. Sat, 4th Dec 2010 at 5:48 pm

Okay thanks, I’ll definitely use it to test out, and will check the results to see if I’m being swindled… It gets really bad sometimes…

37. Sun, 5th Dec 2010 at 1:48 am

Yeah, I’m in!

38. Sun, 5th Dec 2010 at 6:16 am

Heard that Josh? It’s on!

39. Sun, 5th Dec 2010 at 6:35 am

Nice WQ Ernice. I love it! Gaming for me began a bit later with SNES and games like Mario Bros. 3 and Mario World. I also loved Killer Instinct and the Donkey Kong games made by Rare.

Speaking of Rare, that company’s gone down really bad. Used to love their games.

Can’t remember the exact date and how it occurred, but I know it’s changed my life forever.

Kept me out of trouble many, many times.

And oh, thanks for Games Thirst, Ernice. We don’t say it often but I’m sure the folks on here are grateful for all your hard efforts.

Keep it up.

40. Sun, 5th Dec 2010 at 6:36 am

:-)

41. Sun, 5th Dec 2010 at 6:36 am

Seriously, thank all of your for making GT what it is today. It’s a great community we’ve forged here, and I love the way it’s growing. Thanks again to all you guys!

42. Sun, 5th Dec 2010 at 2:13 pm

Well when you see me on GT5 just message me and I will set up a room. I would like to get a few guys on there. So who ever has it get and play.

43. Mon, 6th Dec 2010 at 10:58 am

@Ernice Gilbert, nah bro thank you, this site to me is one of the top gaming sites out there period

44. Mon, 6th Dec 2010 at 11:07 am

Wow, thanks, Bro. Really, those words mean a lot to me and the team. Thank you.

By the way, we got selected as on of CVG’s favorite sites…. And they’re prepping a feature to be posted on their own site soon!

45. Mon, 6th Dec 2010 at 11:11 am

@ Ernice Gilbert, thats awesome dude, u and the team deserve it.

46. Mon, 6th Dec 2010 at 11:14 am