Can Ninja Theory Do For Devil May Cry What Christopher Nolan Did For Batman?

by Ernice Gilbert on September 27th, 2010, under Capcom, Hot, News, Ninja Theory

I’ve been a huge Batman fan since I could remember my name, umpteen years, and have seen the franchise shoot straight to the top and spiral down to the ground like an ailing, depressed bird. The latter was the case when it was revealed that Christopher Nolan would be directing what was then the latest Batman film: Batman Returns, and like any true fan who wants only the best for the franchise, I was concerned.

Would he be able to send that ailing bird shooting into the sky again, or would my beloved franchise kick the bucket? We all know now how that went, and Batman once again rules the box office. From Batman: Returns, to the stunning epic that’s Batman: The Dark Knight, the franchise has seen a healthy rebirth, one that’s cultivated new fans, and kept long time die hards hooked.

Here’s the million dollar question: Can Ninja Theory do the same for the fading Devil May Cry franchise?

Speaking in a recent interview with the US PS Blog, Alex Jones, lead producer for the Devil May Cry reboot said he was first amazed when he heard Capcom was allowing them (Ninja Theory) to develop the game. But once that was settled in his mind, the next thing was to make Dante “less over-the-tip fashionista, and more harder edged. “Toughen him up a little bit.”

See, that’s the thing. I’m not sure if the Dante’ we’ve seen in the TGS trailer’s tougher in anyway. To me, he looks more…contemporary? I’m not sure what he looks like, but definitely not “tougher”.

Tameem Antioniades, the game’s creative director’s a bit more careful, admitting “it’s terrifying when you’re given something as well known as DMC and say we want to take this in a new direction,” he said. Especially when [Capcom] says “really, go for it”.

So what’s Ninja Theory’s strategy on revamping the game and at the same time keep long time fans plugged in? It’s all about “keeping what’s essential about the title.”

This is no easy task, but can the studio handle it? I’m sure they can, Heavenly Sword was, and still is an awesome game, it’s highly praised and similar to DMC in many ways.

Honestly, what I’ve seen thus far hasn’t impressed me much, but then again, that’s the same attitude I held back when Batman: Returns was announced.

Prove me wrong, please, Ninja Theory.

1. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 12:20 pm

Ninja Theory changing Dante’s personality is not making it a better game. everyone that’s a fan of DMC knows Dante is not a serious character, he never was, excluding the unpopular DMC2. and if anyone was to give DMC a healthy rebirth it should logically been either Platinum games or team ninja. reasons why Capcom would choose such a non-relevant studio is beyond me. i never thought DMC was fading, there was a lot of possibilities that could of been done with the franchise, they could of expanded on nero’s story, they could if made of made a game on sparda, or for crying out loud something the fans have been wanting, a game that was on virgil. for me im scared of what might happen to DMC, considering how, both of the games that ninja theory have released, heavenly sword and enslaved both suck in my opinion. but only time will tell on what ninja theory can initially do for DMC.

2. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 12:28 pm

You make some great points, Ghost, you do. I was thinking about the same thing, why didn’t allow Platinum or Team Ninja to do the reboot is beyond me. But then again, they did say they wanted to revamp it.

3. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 2:39 pm

Well, i am not sure about platinum games, but Team Ninja has been busy with Metroid, which they butchered, and a new Ninja Gaiden.

4. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 2:53 pm

@RebBullGT33, why not platinum games, the creator of devil may cry is a developer for platinum games, it would make more sense for them to develop it. also team ninja did not butcher metroid, other m is awesome.

5. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 2:59 pm

no, what i was saying is that I am not sure if Platinum games was busy with other games like Ninja Theory is. I am fine with Platinum games making it. I am just saying that i do not know if they are busy like Ninja Theory. Also, the gameplay on the Other M is good, but the story is horrible, they totally ruined the character of Samus. And some of the decisions they made in the game where not good.

6. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 7:48 pm

so i said Ninja Theory in the last post and i meant Team Ninja.

7. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 7:53 pm

The first Devil May Cry was the best, imo.

8. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 9:19 pm

@Ernice Gilbert, i think dmc3 was the best.

9. Mon, 27th Sep 2010 at 10:57 pm

Yeah, DMC3 was awesome, but something about the first was just so appealing. DMC2 was a mess.

10. Tue, 28th Sep 2010 at 4:01 am

toughen him up a bit?
    so thats why he looks like a freaking pretty boy pussy!?
    DMC3 was and always will be the best DMC game, crapcom and NT are just sending this series down the gutter!
    like it was not enough they destroyed RE, now they have to destroy this too.
    god, there worse than $E!

11. Tue, 28th Sep 2010 at 4:02 am

“i wish capcom could be banned from making their games, stop them from changing what the fans dont want changed!
    god, there worse than $E!” LOL

12. Tue, 28th Sep 2010 at 9:01 am

thats it, from now on i here by declare capcom are banned from releasing a sequel to any of their games.
    all capcom games are here by assigned full publishing and developing rights to EA.
    they release allot of games, and 99% of them are fantastic so at least i have confidence they will do them justice!
    god help you capcom if you screw up bionic commando rearmed 2, you already destroyed the remake, that crap GRIN made!