For Valve, The PS3 Is “Incredibly Important”

by Ernice Gilbert on August 21st, 2010, under Hot, News, Sony, Valve

If you’ve been around gaming’s web for some time, you’ve definitely heard the many harsh things Valve boss, Gabe Newell’s said about the console. Thing’s like, “The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels”, and “I don’t think they’re going to make money off their box”.

Oh how times have changed. At E3 2010, the gaming legend crashed Sony’s presser to announce Portal 2′s arrival on the PS3. He even said the PS3 will receive the superior version of the game with Steam enabling co-op between the PC and the console.

It’s true, Newell has recognized the PS3′s worth, and with humility overriding pride, the developer said Sony’s seventh generation console is “incredibly important” to them.

This according to Valve project manager Eirk Johnson:

“We don’t feel that the PS3 users had the Valve experience that we like to deliver,” he said. Adding that they’re looking to “fix everything wrong” from previous titles, and Steamworks will play a large role in sorting out those problems.

“We’re looking forward to solving that and having Steam on that platform is also incredibly valuable to us. In a lot of ways that is the way we define a customer having a good experience because it’s the way that we keep talking to that customer over time.”

Interesting. Will Left 4 Dead come to the PS3, then? It’s almost guaranteed to happen; since the studio’s owned by EA, not to mention EA and Sony’s love relationship of late.

Through Gamasutra.

1. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:03 pm

lol. Newell made me laugh at the Sony E3 conference. He looked so nervous on the stage, it was like he thought he was going to be attacked by an angry mob.

2. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:06 pm

I think Valve’s growing interest in the PS3 has to do a lot with the growth of the user base. Before, it was Microsoft that was truly dominating, but now Sony is starting to truly grow and they notice this. It might also be the fact that their publishing partner is becoming very close friends with Sony. lol.

3. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:07 pm

lol yeah. It also looked like Sony told him if he didn’t perform, they’d shoot him lol.

The man looked terrified.

4. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:07 pm

I just thought about his E3 moment: just epic, really. Lol. Yeah EA is all for multiplat and they are indeed “tight” with Sony as of late. It’s only a matter of time. Hey maybe it’s one of their huge announcements for TGS.

5. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:08 pm

Yep, EA. But you have some good points. PS3′s userbase is also on par with that of the Xbox 360.

I mean, who wants to ignore over 37 million customers?

6. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:10 pm

Lol. Didn’t see that first comment, I’m using my iPhone and got sidetracked while constructing my comment.

7. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:11 pm

@ ExclusivesMostly: You never know. That’d really be something, though. Microsoft’s already lacking exclusives as is.

I think they made a huge mistake trying to buy out former PS3 exclusives. Instead, they should focus on creating new IPs and forming new studios.

8. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:13 pm

Ah, that’s okay. Microsoft must be thinking really hard now. Thinking on ways to match Sony’s games offerings.

9. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:15 pm

@ Ernice
    Microsoft is lacking bad in first party studios while Sony is swimming in them. Also, I think Microsoft rushes their studios to much, just look at how broken the Gears of War 2 Multiplayer was. Sony, for the most part, lets their studios build a strong game and lets them release it when ready. They do want it done by a certain time, but i think sony gives a little more leeway to their studios.

10. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:16 pm

Indeed!

11. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:16 pm

Oh, and it shows in the quality of Sony’s first party exclusives.

12. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:19 pm

Indeed RedBullGT33, indeed. No one can deny what you just said. Look at what happened to RARE.

13. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:36 pm

Yeah I agree with you as well, RedBullGT33. Sony’s first party studios are among the best in the industry (arguably the best, period- think Naughty Dog) and quite naturally they produce some of the best games available.

14. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:38 pm

I just can’t wait for The Last Guardian. I have a feeling it will be a game you will not forget.

15. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:42 pm

Ah the Last Guardian from Team Ico. Team Ico; enough said!

16. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:44 pm

That’s also a unique game. From what I’ve read it will be shown at TGS. I just love the diversity that Sony delivers.

17. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:50 pm

So, I had my 360 for 3 years before I got my ps3 and all I really play now is my ps3, and that is because they offer so much diversity in their games. I still do not have a problem with the xbox, but me an my hardcore xbox friends call the xbox the shooter box because of all the shooters. Again I like playing my xbox, but I do get tired of a lot of shooters.

18. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:53 pm

I love my Xbox 360, too. Nothing’s wrong with the console; Microsoft simply needs to have a more diverse lineup.

19. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 1:56 pm

“me an my hardcore xbox friends call the xbox the shooter box”

Lol. Good one. You’re right about the xbox offerings as well. Microsoft needs to do better. I mean Bill Gates is signing the checks….

20. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 2:02 pm

“I mean Bill Gates is signing the checks….”

You’d think they’d have a nice lineup of first party devs by now.

21. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 2:04 pm

Exactly!

22. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 2:07 pm

Yeah, but Bill Gates wants to keep those dollars, and in order to get first party developers you got to spend those dollars, and you are taking a big gamble when you do that. Also, I read somewhere that the shareholders did not like Microsoft being in the console gaming industry.

23. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 2:36 pm

I see your point RedBullGT33.But they’re not helping matters by buying third party exclusives either.

24. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 2:39 pm

Thats true, and they are learning their lesson.

25. Sat, 21st Aug 2010 at 4:58 pm

I hope they’ve learned their lessons

26. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 3:30 am

so, gabe, that means ill be blowing zombies heads off soon on my ps3?
    ;)

27. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 9:16 am

Indeed, nick. It’s only a matter of time really.

28. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 9:22 am

id love to see L4D2 on the ps3, 50 bucks says valve could have it exactly the same as the 360 and PC versions originally and it would not be banned!
    the inconsistency of the OFLC baffles me!
    hopefully they bring over the mods too, thats the best thing about valve they really support their community!
    what other developer will come visit you to check your game mods?
    now, if thats not fan service than i dont know what is!

29. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 12:28 pm

“so, gabe, that means ill be blowing zombies heads off soon on my ps3?” Indeed.

30. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 2:02 pm

i heard EA is going to announce a new exclusive PS3 game soon. I am betting at TGS.

31. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 2:57 pm

Wonder what it is…………

32. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 3:14 pm

IDK, but I hope it is a new IP because I am getting a little tired of sequels. Not to say that I do not like them, it would just be nice to see some new stuff.

33. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 3:22 pm

Yeah, it seems as if developers are afraid of the risks involved in creating new IPs. Games are very expensive nowadays.

34. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 3:30 pm

yeah, but if you really take the time to develop the game and market it right, it will probably be successful. Look at EA with Dead Space. They did a great job with marketing. In fact, I can still remember the commercials with the song Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. It was so creepy.

35. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 3:32 pm

I am not saying all of the games will be successful, but I would like to see a more companies take a couple of chances. i think that is why last generation was so great because there were a lot more companies taking chances.

36. Sun, 22nd Aug 2010 at 3:41 pm

It was indeed. Yeah, great marketing can take even a bad game and sell it to heaven. Dead Space, and still is good, though.