Weekend Quencher 09/24/10 – We Are One Family

by Ernice Gilbert on September 24th, 2010, under Other Stuff

Has anyone here ever been in love with a woman? I’m sure you have. It’s the most wonderful feeling in the world, isn’t it? — Especially for us guys: We can’t get off the phone so we talk hours without pause. At times, food becomes tasteless — all we want to do is chat with our “baby”. To spend time, quality time with her, taking risks, giving her things we can’t afford. Can I get a witness?

This may sound a bit strange but it’s the same way I feel about Gamesthirst. Not the layout and design of the website, not the countless news pieces we post up each day, no, none of that. It’s you, the Gamesthirst user. From the veterans like Nick, to fresh faces like Ghost250 and THE GAME and our very involved family members like ExclusivesMostly and RedBullGT33.

Not forgeting Linlinjr and os1019, all you guys make this website what it is today: A place where gamers can come and have a good time discussing games. It’s gone beyond that, too. We’ve formed an online clan where we meet to play the very same titles we discuss here, something that helps strengthen our bonds. Also, coming soon is the site’s very own podcast, a feature many have asked for — we could probably call it “Pod Quencher”? I don’t know, you think of something.

And on that note, it’s the weekend, friends, what are you up to?

I’ll be playing Halo: Reach (finally), from tonight and probably straight into the morning. I’ve been wanting to have at it for a while, but thank God I’ll finally get the chance to. I’m still grieving the delay of LittleBigPlanet 2, though, it’s really disappointing to see the game slip into next year. It seems everyone’s running away from Call of Duty yet again; Activision must be pretty pleased.

As for the rest of my weekend, there isn’t much going on, really. I’ll be playing and resting.

How about yours? Anything interesting going on? I’m sure there is. Any talk goes here.

1. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 8:45 pm

This week I am home with my beautiful girlfriend.

2. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 8:53 pm

Ah, nice! Great to see you on the quencher, bro. Playing any games? Also, you’re welcome to join the GTClan as well, it’d be an honor to have you as part of the team.

See the simple instructions through here:

3. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:00 pm

okay but i play 80% of my time Gears of WAr 2.

4. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:07 pm

Really? Well guess what: I just revisited Gears 1 and the game is still a beast. So sure, we’ll get online with Gears 2

Do you own a PS3?

5. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:14 pm

I love gears, but I do not play gears 2 anymore because of all the glitches. my friends an I where in the top 10 in the world on execution at one time, and then the hackers took over, and I quit playing. I know they fixed it, but I cant go back. I will be playing Gears 3 like crazy though. I still play gears 1.

6. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:15 pm

7. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:16 pm

my ps3 broke some months ago.
    i can try to get a new. u own gears 2 or gears 1 right? i do

8. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:22 pm

@RedBullGT33
    u right about the top systme. if u are at lvl 100 u can go private or social mode? i own gears 1 too.

9. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:25 pm

“As for this weekend, I am going to a Florida State University football game saturday, and then studying for a Shakespeare exam I have tuesday.”

I’m jealous.

10. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:26 pm

RedBull, you were top 10 in the world? God you’re good.

11. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:27 pm

@ THE GAME: Yes, we can play Gears 1 or 2 online.. Sorry about the PS3, hope you can get a new one soon.

12. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:37 pm

nice my GT is (II THE GAME I1) i will be online first tomorrow. I have not be online for almost a week and I tink I need a new gold but i will get one tomorrow (:

13. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:42 pm

Okay sounds like a plan. We’ll connect. Another note, I’m be writing a thread on GT5 later, probably next month. I think it’s the only racing sim I’ll need for years to come. And Enslaved, Nick says he thinks it’s already playing better than Uncharted 2. What are your thoughts?

14. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 9:51 pm

ah i dont what to say cuz uncharted is a action game and GT is a racing. for me the reason to buy a ps3 is uncharted 2 but if u love racing game go with GT5.

15. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 10:39 pm

I can’t wait for GT5. I also want the F1 2010 game, I love F1 racing. @ The Game I have gears 1. I still get on and play it every once and a while.
    @Ernice, yeah we were pretty good, but it was mostly that we played a lot and i mean a lot. I got to over 2000 games played in just a few months. we were obsessed with that game.

16. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 11:02 pm

@GAME: Uncharted 2′s really awesome, however Nick was saying he thinks Enslaved gives it a good run. I don’t think so, but Nick’s usually on point with his points… Just wanted you guys take on it.

17. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 11:10 pm

@RedBull: Yes, F12010 looks good. In fact, I’ve loved all of them thus far.

Here’s a good video review of the game:

18. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 11:31 pm

my friend has it and it is fun. I might get it, since I no longer can get lbp 2. I will probably get it on xbox, since that is what my friend has it on. Also, from what I have played, I do not think enslaved is on par. It was fun, but I had some issues with it.

19. Fri, 24th Sep 2010 at 11:43 pm

ehem!

20. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 2:59 am

griding through dead rising 2 today, its so much like alpha protocol its not funny.
    one minute your having the time of your life pissing yourself laughing, the next your tearing your hair out and sending the controller through your tv!
    staying home tonight to watch the big game, i just hope its not a repeat of 2 years ago.
    started heavy rain the other day with playstation move, and i have to admit im really impressed by it.
    some of the actions it makes you do just feel really natural and fitted for the device.
    i cant wait to see what davids next game is, he makes such a unique title and among the best developers out there!

21. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 6:03 am

playing gears 2 now! join!

22. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 7:08 am

@Nick: Nice weekend you’re having there!

I’ll give Heavy Rain Move a try later.

@RedBullGT: Yep, I think Uncharted 2 stands above what Enslaved has shown me thus far.

@THE GAME: I’l try and get on later, what else do you have?

23. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 8:16 am

I’ve got a lot of homework to do this weekend. And I have two exams next week to study for so I won’t have much leisure time. I’m loving the Logitec Driving Force steering wheel I recently bought so I’ll probably sneak in a few laps around the Suzuka Circuit in GT5: Prologue. We’ll see how it goes though.

24. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 8:23 am

Ah, prepping yourself for GT5 I see. : ) Great. On the homework front: Study hard, bro. Achieve your best!

25. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 8:51 am

Yep and Yep!

26. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 10:18 am

i hope they fix the clutch and the paddles behind the steering issues for GT5, they never worked in GT5P or any of the demos.
    thats the best part about driving a manual, if you cant use the clutch you might as well drive a auto and use the paddles.

27. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 11:17 am

@Nick: Indeed! I think they will though. I actually have the Logitech Driving Force Wireless, not the GT. As you know the GT (the official wheel) is a BETTER wheel but it requires a table or something to mount it to and it needs to be wired to the PS3*.
    The Wireless on the other hand doesn’t and it fits perfectly on my lap (it’s adjustable to fit pretty much any lap comfortably). This works perfect with my set-up. I have two side by side leather recliners (modern) in front of my 40in Bravia 1080p XBR tv. I just love it.

28. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 11:21 am

@All: here’s 8 pages (yep not a typo) of LBP Beta footage. makes the wait even more painful (oh and Jan 18 2011 is the release date btw)

29. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 11:25 am

i meant “LBP2″. the flow level is one of my favs (pg 8- it’s like an exact replica- these guys are so talented)

30. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 12:05 pm

Thanks, Mostly, for that link and the release date too : )

31. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 12:05 pm

The Games Thirst community is the best so I appreciate the shout out Ernice. I eagerly await the podcast. For most of the weekend, I will be studying Saussurean semiotics and it’s impact on Baudrillard’s Simulacra and Simulation. On the gaming, front a little Alan Wake and Gears 2 maybe… Did you guys establish a GT Clan for the 360 yet…

32. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 12:22 pm

@Nick, yep.

33. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 9:00 pm

Hey os1019! You don’t log in as much as you should, bro! Your comments are very thoughtful and we want to see more of them!

To answer you question: Yes we have done that for the 360 add me: Maestro GTUnit.

And sorry for not responding earlier, I didn’t see your comment because I was responding from the back office and somehow missed yours, : ( My apologies!

34. Sat, 25th Sep 2010 at 9:05 pm

Also, you said you’ll be studying “Saussurean semiotics and it’s impact on Baudrillard’s Simulacra and Simulation”, can you break that down further?

And yes, those of us with 360s can play Gears 2….Let’s just set up a date!

35. Sun, 26th Sep 2010 at 7:17 am

@os1019: Agreed, the community here is the best! I come everyday!

36. Sun, 26th Sep 2010 at 7:20 am

It’s a little RDR for me this weekend, some Halo: Reach and some Gears 2….RDR on PS3.

37. Sun, 26th Sep 2010 at 8:21 am

@ExclusivesMostly: Dude, that’s some gaming setup you have there. *Whistles*

38. Sun, 26th Sep 2010 at 8:33 am

Yep :)

39. Sun, 26th Sep 2010 at 3:07 pm

@Ernice without G33King out the post in Simulacra the subject is dominated by the object signs… media propagated ideals and increasingly form our behavior and perceptual experience therefore we live in a “hyperreality” a world of signs far removed for any external reality… these same signs he speaks of are similar to the signs of Saussure’s linguistic system.

40. Sun, 26th Sep 2010 at 3:31 pm

Wow, that’s intricate stuff. Did you setup your GTUnit account yet? Here are the instructions once more: