Weekend Quencher 2/25/12 – Speak Up

Speak Up Header

The majority of gamers are very passionate about their beloved medium. They will defend their favourite games and platforms to the death and take pride in their greatest gaming achievements (rank 21 in Battlefield 1943 is mine). I believe that this passion stretches far beyond the confines of the actual games and into everything Video Games related. Hardcore gamers might collect figurines, decorate their rooms with posters, listen to soundtracks and take pleasure in everything video game related. Plenty of film buffs might partake in similar practises with their favourite films but where I think video games fans differ is with their passion for gaming press. So that’s what I want to talk about in this weeks WQ.

I could be accused of bias as I have stumbled into a role close to gaming journalism but I will always consider myself a gamer first and a journalist second. Gamers interact so actively online with gaming websites and online forums and there is no real comparison with other forms of media. I enjoy watching TV but I don’t search the web for information about a show before it’s released and read many in depth reviews once I it’s released. Why do I (and so many other gamers) do that with video games then? I can think of a number of reasons. I think that the time we can expect to put into a video game and the price can make it more important to hear more about the game before you buy it. If you see a bad film you have lost £6 and not £40. I also believe that the online nature of gamers also helps keep the community active. Gamers spend on average more time online than non-gamers, just look at how dominated by gamers youtube is for proof. I however believe that the main reason why gamers interact of actively and passionately with gaming press is because gamers simply love to talk about video games.

Whether it’s bragging about a 360 no scope you performed in COD, a funny glitch that occurred in Skyrim, how your story played out in Mass Effect or even an intellectual debate about why video games are art, gamers love to talk gaming. Why else would people watch reviews on games they already own or spend an hour arguing about why Xbox is better than Playstation in forums. For whatever reason gamers are a very vocal group of people and want their opinions to be heard and to hear other peoples opinions (even if they can’t always form a mature debate when they disagree). While chatting on the school playground or round the water cooler at work is sometimes an option most get their chatty gaming fix online on gaming sites and forums. So speak up then and let me know what you think, it’s what your best at.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Author: Joseph Garrett View all posts by

7 Comments on "Weekend Quencher 2/25/12 – Speak Up"

1. benzo February 25, 2012 at 8:39 pm -

Great article sir! I agree that for better or worse…mostly worse…gamers are very vocal group. Im a big movie person too,almost 400 strong in collection. I will talk movies and games all day!!! And my man cave is littered with game and movie posters!!! While I love to talk games and movies,the internet has put me in contact with some real Richard Noggins(D*ck Heads) who make me wish that I could punch them in the damn face!!! But for the most part….love to talk games and movies…and I brag about my PS3 trophy count…1550 . But no platinum trophies….too many games, so little time and even less $$$$!

2. Joseph Garrett February 25, 2012 at 9:31 pm -

Glad you enjoyed the article Benzo.

Everyone at Games Thirst loves talking games too so start talking. Yeah you get a lot of immature fan boys that can’t listen to sense or a agree to disagree but most of the time I can’t shut up about games.

3. nick February 26, 2012 at 3:14 am -

expense mainly.
    if you dont like a movie you waste 10 bucks, most shows are on free to air so thats free, but games are a different story.
    whats really worrying me though is allot of demos released lately that really did not portray what the game is about.
    asuras wrath for example, if theres one demo out there that is so different from the game its that!
    developers really need to be careful when picking content for a demo because allot of people get the impression thats what the whole game is going to be like.
    its really hard to select 20 or so minutes out of a 8 hour game that accurately represents the variety of gameplay those 8 hours will offer.
    the unit 13 demo would be another great example, why the hell would you use a training ground as a demo?
    ok its a good way to teach players the controls, but it does not give you any insight to what the gameplay is going to be like now does it?
    i just dont think developers realise how much demos are hurting them.
    if i had a nickel for every time i heard someone say im not buying x game because i did not like the demo id never have to work a day in my life!
    if i had a nickel for every time i heard someone say i was not going to buy a game because i hated the demo, then rented it and i really liked it so i bought it, again id never have to work another day in my life!
    i wish people would wake up and understand a demo for what its for.
    its a representation of a SMALL part of the game!
    just because the demo was a certain way does not mean the whole game will be the same.

4. Ernice Gilbert February 26, 2012 at 5:47 am -

Great WQ article, Joseph. Let me see… Hmm…. I love talking about games because I’m seriously a gamer since birth. I introduced my brother and cousins to the medium and now everyone’s hooked. I don’t know, I think gaming is the best pastime, ever. I also think gamers are a passionate bunch because, like you and Nick alluded to, it’s quite an expensive habit. so of course, you’ll want to know if a certain game is worth its salt, you’ll want to see the videos, you’ll want to read the articles, and you’ll want to hear the the developers are saying…. Most of all though, I think we as gamers have this great thing in common and that we believe so many don’t understand. Gaming sometimes take us away from the “world” and all the craziness that comes along with it. It’s our escape. Let me put it like this: we feel like what we have in common is misunderstood by so many, so we get together in one common room and have a ball knowing that we’re not the only ones…. That’s my take, at least. Nice WQ.

5. nick February 26, 2012 at 9:30 am -

i do it exactly for that, to escape reality.
    and thats what really concerns me with todays developers obsession of trying to make games as realistic as possible!
    just destroys the fun.
    as for reading up on them i do it because its nice to have something to look forward to.
    id be kinda boring just going to the shop and buying the game, its much more fun sitting here discussing it with people, watching the reveal trailer, watching trailers, reading previews, and dreaming towards the day its finally out.
    ME3 is in my dreams now, if i could only play 1, and only 1 game this year that would be it!
    i just wish vita did not come out this week, its keeping me away from finishing the DLC!
    so much to do, so little time.

6. ExclusivesMostly February 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm -

great points guys. i love the anticipation it builds. and reading other opinions is cool.

7. Ernice Gilbert February 27, 2012 at 7:34 am -

Yep, that’s right, ExclusivesMostly, it really builds anticipation! You’ve been quite busy these days, haven’t you?