David O. Russell No Longer Directing Uncharted Movie

by Joshua Tompkins on May 26th, 2011, under News

Lets face it, movie adaptations of video games have been bad to say the least. They never seem to hold the same feel as the actual source material, and instead of making fans happy about the adaptation, they usually just make them angry. This is why many people were up in arms when they announced an Uncharted movie.

Now, I believe that if there is any game out there that can be made into a pretty good movie, it is Uncharted. The game is already very much like a movie and I think that with the right casting and writing, it will be good. This changed quickly when they revealed who is suppose to play the roles of our beloved characters and what the writer/director wants to do with the story, but a beacon of hope shined today when some great news broke.

I am happy to announce that David O. Russell will not longer be the writer/director on the Uncharted movie. Variety’s Jeff Sneider  broke the news today and stated that he “has left the project over creative differences with Sony.” From the reports of what the film is going to be like, he had more than just creative differences with Sony, but also with the fans, who have been very clear that they do not like the direction the movie is going. Maybe Sony heard the complaints of the community and decided to go in a different direction. If there are still plans for a film, lets hope they get someone who will stay true to the source material.

1. Thu, 26th May 2011 at 7:35 pm

Praise the Lord!!!!

2. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 4:04 am

THANK GOD!
    he clearly had no freaking clue what uncharteds about!
    the sopranos?
    seriously!?
    what world is this guy living in!?

3. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 7:10 am

Sigh, guy almost destroyed a potentially great flick.

4. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 10:47 am

Truly great news. Every time I read about what he wanted to do I couldn’t help think that he was going to incorporate the Sara Bareilles song, Uncharted into the movie. HAHA! If you have not heard the song you should give it a listed and think about the old TV shows where someone walks through a door, during the intro music, and smiles at the camera. Cheesy.

5. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 10:54 am
  6. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 10:54 am

:D

7. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 10:56 am

HAHA! I’m running gameplay footage through my head while listening to it. It matches up well. HAHA!

8. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 11:02 am

Yeah Lol! What scene would you suggest? That train scene or some epic battle in, what’s that place name again? The last level in UC2….

9. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 11:05 am

When the, “I’m going down, follow if you want to” I see him climbing down a cliff. and then, “follow if you want to”, the old man or girl coming down too.
    God. I should make a movie. Or someone should do some machinima, or cut scenes, to this song.

10. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 11:08 am

I think it’s a brilliant idea. You never know…..we should run it by Naughty Dog…. and ask for royalties for our your idea

11. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 11:22 am

I could be like the guy who put peanut butter and chocolate together. HAHA! I think that Reeses Peanut Butter Cups were a much better idea. HAHA!

12. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 11:30 am

I think they were too. Lol! Seriously though, I’m happy this guy’s gone. Remember this quote: “I decided to make Uncharted a really dope crime family in the world of antiquities and art, and I think we can do something very exciting.”

13. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 11:44 am

Yeah. It needs to have more of the Indiana Jones and less of all the crap he was peddling. I didn’t even like Mark Whalberg as his choice. Nathan Fillion would have been a lot better but still doesn’t quite fit the part, to me at least. So all in all I am glad he is out.

14. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 12:00 pm

Yes indeed. And yes, Nathan Fillion is a much better choice than Mark…but like you said, it is what it is…. Here’s to hoping someone worthy gets the fit of director.

15. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 4:00 pm

Nathan Fillion does not have the look of Drake, but his personality is perfect. He has a close body build, but does not have the face. I think he would be great though.

16. Fri, 27th May 2011 at 5:00 pm

I meant I’m glad David O. Russell is out. Nathan Fillion would have been good but the face is not right, as you stated Joshua.