Thirsty Conversations: Fanboy War Edition: What Are We, 10yr Olds?

by Ernice Gilbert on January 12th, 2010, under Thirsty Conversations

Let’s talk shall we? This fanboy issue has been around for a mighty long time now, but with this the seventh generation of gaming consoles, it has arrived at an uncontrollable level. What’s the latest trash talking amongst the PS3 and Xbox 360 factions? Why Halo: Reach and God of War III of course.

But is all this necessary? I’m all for a good, vigorous and passionate discussion, in fact we’ve stirred a lot of them. But what I really don’t get is why gamers have to constantly insult each other with words so crushing you’d think they were fighting over money or something.

I know, it probably never will but for crying out loud, wake up gamers, be a fanboy all you want but when you take it to the point of insulting other gamers only because they own another system and have different tastes than you, you fail. Epic fail.

Share your thoughts, do it here: The Official Games Thirst Talk Zone.

Share with friends:
  • N4G
  • MySpace
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Netvibes
  • RSS
  • del.icio.us

1. Tue, 12th Jan 2010 at 1:15 pm

“But what I really don’t get is why gamers have to constantly insult each other with words so crushing you’d think they were fighting over money or something.”

Most gamers that I’ve experienced, can’t for the life of them have a reasoned, well thought out, conversation about consoles or gaming in general.

Don’t know why it is this way, but it is. At a local game store, there is one employee that HATES, literally HATES, Nintendo and the Wii…yet he doesn’t own a Wii. When I asked him, “What was the last Wii game you played?”

He said, “Resident Evil 4 for about 10 minutes at a friends house.” Then he walked away.

2. Tue, 12th Jan 2010 at 1:23 pm

Yeah coffeewithgames, it’s simply madness. I hope some more folks jump in this conversation and share their experiences.. Even the fanboys..

For the life of me I just don’t get it. Yes love Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft that’s fine, they’re great companies but don’t go insulting others because they don’t feel the same way you do….

3. Tue, 12th Jan 2010 at 4:32 pm

It’s just really pathetic but you need to just get used to it because until there is only a single console on the market, it will never end.

4. Tue, 12th Jan 2010 at 8:14 pm

And I don’t think there’ll ever be just one console.

5. Tue, 12th Jan 2010 at 8:58 pm

@Colton West and Ernice Gilbert:
    Exactly. It’s going to be a never ending cycle.

6. Tue, 12th Jan 2010 at 9:27 pm

Well, at least we can try to cultivate a community that welcoming and that’s exactly what we’re doing actually. Fanboys are welcomed, all we ask is that members be respected. It’s quite fine to defend your console of choice.

7. Tue, 12th Jan 2010 at 11:03 pm

Ohh the fanboys get to me sometimes. Two of my best friends are PS3 fanboys. My other good friend and my stepbrother and all of his friends are 360 fanboys. Me, I take the middle road and play both, well all 3 but my Wii not very often. It can be difficult to have a general discussion about games with either side.
    I want to tell my stepbro how awesome Demon’s Souls is but he won’t listen. I try to tell my best friend how awesome Mass Effect is and even though he is a huge sci-fi fan he doesn’t care because it’s on 360.(PC too but he owns an old terd of a pc)
    I was at a Gamestop the other day and a father was buying his son a PS3. The clerk (I know he is a 360 fanboy due to the conversations we had in the past) that was helping him seemed totally disgusted. When the customer asked him what other games were good for the PS3 he stared at the selection and said “none that I can think of”. I jumped in and immediately told him about all of the latest exclusives that were right there in front of us.
    Whether we like it or not we need more than one console in this market in order for us to keep playing quality games. Competition is what drives this market and makes us the gamers the winners.

8. Tue, 12th Jan 2010 at 11:12 pm

Interesting story there supra5mge. The fanboys even take their bias to the work place? Wow, there’s even the possibility that if you were not around, that father could have changed his mind. It’s sad really. My question is: Can a fanboy be converted into a non-bias gamer? I think it is indeed possible, how it’ll occur is beyond me, but I do believe it’s possible.