Weekend Quencher: The Hype Train For Next Gen Has Started

unreal_engine4

Digital Foundry gave us a good look at what is inside PS4, and by all standards, it seems as if Sony is building a beastly machine, while Microsoft’s latest console, even though powerful, won’t be as manly as PS4, and will focus more on OS offerings than pure gaming prowess. The next-gen hype train has been turned on.

Not only is Sony beefing up its next system to outer-world standards, the firm is also ditching the longstanding DualShock controller, with rumors making the rounds claiming the latest will feature a front-facing LCD touchscreen and even biometrics on the grips.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is opting to include a more robust operating system (OS), saving 3GB of RAM for that alone. Many have questioned such a move, but people with knowledge of such says it’s because MS is hoping to make the next Xbox much more than just about games, so expect a lot more ads on your dashboard and even while playing. Expect Smartglass, a lot of apps and the like. Remember, Microsoft has stated over and over again that Xbox is no longer a gaming machine, rather a multi-media device it uses to get into your living room, offering up a wide variety of content to consume.

But it doesn’t matter which console you’ll be choosing (well, it does matter), because next-generation will be one epic ride. I spoke of this at the start of the new year, when I predicted that 2013 would be the biggest year for the games industry. See my detailed opinion piece here.

The only question that remains is, are you ready?

This weekend I actually don’t have much to do! Thank God! So I’ll get some gaming on (currently playing LittleBigPlanet 2 with my wife, fighting for points), and I’ll also try to get back into God of War: Ascension’s multiplayer to see if there’s something I’m missing. I didn’t like the thing. It felt like chaos.

I’ll also be prepping for a video shoot of sorts (we’ll talk about that later), but that’s not even related to gaming. Anyway, yeah, that’s my weekend. I’m sure yours are more interesting.

What are you good Games Thirst people up to this weekend? Do share! And have a blast!

10 Comments on "Weekend Quencher: The Hype Train For Next Gen Has Started"

1. Ghost250 January 19, 2013 at 4:48 am -

this weekend im playing infamous 2 again. i just got done with my good karma playthrough yesterday, no im going to play it on bad karma. probably earn my next platium trophy too. an sunday ill be watching the AFC championship game between New England & Baltimore. my patriots are gonna kill them, plus im sick of hearing about ray lewis. as for the PS4 if they ditch the dualshock for a controller with screen in the middle then count me out on that, because im not playing my games that way.

2. Ernice Gilbert January 19, 2013 at 4:52 am -

@Ghost: I see you online now! I hope to get in some inFamous 2 action myself. Not this weekend though. Also, the DualShock 3 will be compatible with PS4, the report makes known, so rest easy! :D Have a blast man!

3. Ghost250 January 19, 2013 at 4:55 am -

alright have a good weekend

4. Mezzo January 19, 2013 at 11:41 am -

The next 5 months will be crazy, i cannot wait to put down a Pre-Order for PS4.
    —————-

And i got a CAT recently, i’ve been spending a lot of time with Him, and i don’t think it’ll change much this week as well. Gaming i put on Hold for some time.
    —————-

Image: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MxgGDGubiLI/UPiWYKbfrEI/AAAAAAAAAc8/4tlh4hCRBk0/w497-h373/WP_000227.jpg

Name: Cashew.

5. afrotravis January 19, 2013 at 4:20 pm -

urgghhh another work week… anyway.. i will restart AC III liberation cause my file got corrupted and it could not be fixed… also try n squeeze in some bioshock2..
    @ernice.. how you liking the plus? i think its about time u get a platinum. WHY u ask? …..Sorry to say this but you are the only one on my psn friend list without a platinum in any game :)

6. Ernice Gilbert January 19, 2013 at 7:23 pm -

@Mezzo: Dude…. LOL! That’s one fat cat. Haha!

7. Ernice Gilbert January 19, 2013 at 7:25 pm -

@Afrotrav: Bro, PS Plus is the best gaming gift, ever. Thanks! And it’s a darn shame I have not platinumed one. single. game! For shame!!!

8. nick January 20, 2013 at 12:30 am -

Its going to be interesting seeing what is what. Latest rumours set Xbox well more powerful twice as much ram, faster ram, oct (8) core processor appose to quad, and similar clock speed not to mention the Xbox has a high amount of embedded ram which will help speed things up.
    M$ will have a much better more efficient OS as well as better software tools.
    So far it’s looking to be a repeat of the original far more powerful than the ps.
    I’m really worried whats going to happen with $ony next gen.
    The have fallen so far from grace this gen and thats caused them to be tight a$$ed.
    They REALLY need to start investing instead of making the cheapest product possible go back to making THE best products on the market!

I’m in Brisbane ATM had my godsons wedding last night that was so beautiful down at the winery. Shame I’m not a real wine drinker.
    No games for me this week.
    Actually I got my vita perfect time to finish off gravity rush.

9. Ernice Gilbert January 20, 2013 at 7:17 am -

Nick, what rumor is that. Dude you are totally wrong! The consensus is that MS is focusing more on Kinect and OS offerings, while Sony is making for a core gaming consoles. And all over the web and forums, gamers love it! Here is the most reliable reveal yet. What are you talking about? You are completely wrong!

10. nick January 20, 2013 at 9:46 am -

the one you linked a few days ago from CVG.
    kinect is exactly why M$ has the higher spec memory, they need it for the more precise tracking software and especially if there going for that projection thingies.