Dead Island Developer Apologizes For Ripped Torso Stunt

deadisland_

Dead Island was given a new package yesterday, dubbed Dead Island Riptide: Zombie Bait Edition. However the art chosen, which you’ll see below the break, was very distasteful, forcing developer Deep Silver to disavow the art. The developer has also issued an apology.

Here’s the apology:

A statement on the Zombie Bait Edition:

We deeply apologize for any offense caused by the Dead Island Riptide “Zombie Bait Edition”, the collector’s edition announced for Europe and Australia. Like many gaming companies, Deep Silver has many offices in different countries, which is why sometimes different versions of Collector’s Editions come into being for North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia.

For the limited run of the Zombie Bait Edition for Europe and Australia, a decision was made to include a gruesome statue of a zombie torso, which was cut up like many of our fans had done to the undead enemies in the original Dead Island.

We sincerely regret this choice. We are collecting feedback continuously from the Dead Island community, as well as the international gaming community at large, for ongoing internal meetings with Deep Silver’s entire international team today. For now, we want to reiterate to the community, fans and industry how deeply sorry we are, and that we are committed to making sure this will never happen again.

Dead Island Riptide will be released on April 23rd in North America and on April 26th in Europe and the UK for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

9 Comments on "Dead Island Developer Apologizes For Ripped Torso Stunt"

1. foxton January 16, 2013 at 9:22 am -

and this is offensive because……??

2. Ernice Gilbert January 16, 2013 at 9:23 am -

@Foxton: Sexism. I mean, look at it!

3. Ernice Gilbert January 16, 2013 at 9:23 am -

Click on the picture so it becomes larger. You’ll see what I mean. It’s distasteful.

4. foxton January 16, 2013 at 9:29 am -

yeah i clicked it, i spose i see where your comming from, but this is a zombie game right?!! what do you expect to see when you play it? Its an 18 rated game so i dont really see the problem. We all know there are far worse things floating about in computer games, just because they advertise a womans torso in a zombie collectors edition why does it suddenly make it taboo?!

5. benzo January 16, 2013 at 9:32 am -

I dont feel they should have to apologize for highlighting boobs. Music, Movies,TV, hell my female coworkers do it everyday. Yet we get no apologies from them. If you dont want to look at boobies…dont look. If you dont like the statue, dont buy the bait edition. I saw the same amount of cleavage flipping the channels this morning. The before and after pics from workout videos.

6. Ernice Gilbert January 16, 2013 at 11:01 am -

LOL! Benzo! I’m not talking about the boobs, really. We see that all the time, I agree. But the, forgive my new word, slaughteration of the limbs, etc., is quite gruesome.

7. Wolf1888 January 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm -

Mmh.. I guess I’m in the “Meh” team too. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. What if it was a man torso? I’m not sure the dev would’ve apologized if it was. Because there’s nothing to it, the game features that kind of gore. If you are to buy a special edition of a specific game, I suppose you are okay with what that actual game shows.

I’ve seen worse gore, and I’ve seen worse cleavage, so this is not really affecting me in a bad way. Clearly these apologies were not for the fans of Dead Island, that”d be absurd. He’s clearly apologizing for the people that won’t buy it anyway.

8. nick January 17, 2013 at 4:56 am -

what the hell is happening to society?
    i swear to god were turning into a bunch of freaking soccer mom whiners!
    always scowering the net to find a new thing to bitch about.
    shes in a bikini so what!?
    its set on a tropical island, i think lots of bikinis overflowing is quite common on tropical islands!
    yea its a bit gruesome with the head and limbs removed, but have you played the original?
    this is a bit of tongue in cheek fun, what the hells wrong with that!?

9. Ghost250 January 17, 2013 at 8:17 am -

@nick dude people complained about the boxart of bioshock infinite….. the F***KING BOXART, thats how you know people complain just to do it. and its always about the simplest crap.