Gears of War: Judgment gets free-for-all mode

_gears of war judgment

Gears of War: Judgment, the new chapter in the Gears of War saga that will be released this coming fall, will feature a free-for-all multiplayer mode – the popular “deathmatch”, as most games put it.

Epic Games also unveiled two new maps, Library and Gondola, which will be showcased in PAX Prime in the coming days. Free-for-all is the second new multiplayer mode for the Gears of War franchise that’s introduced in Judgment, the other being OverRun, a mixture of Gears of War 3′s Horde and Beast modes, pitting players from both sides against each other in class-based combat.

Gears of War: Judgment will focus on Damon Baird and Augustus Cole, although we have no more story details. It will not use Kinect, and it’s also the first game in the franchise to use a subtitle instead of a number, since Gears of War: Exile was scrapped. It is being developed by Epic Games, along with People Can Fly, the studio behind Bulletstorm that Epic recently purchased.

Author: Christos Chatzisavvas View all posts by
Gaming lover, web developing graduate, founder and developer at Starblind Entertainment. Keep your eye out for news, reviews, previews and opinion articles, as well as game projects. Follow me on Twitter @CrashOkami.

7 Comments on "Gears of War: Judgment gets free-for-all mode"

1. nick August 30, 2012 at 8:23 am -

sweet!
    so cant wait for this, its looking like the shakeup the series needed!
    nice to see the developers trying something a little different with this, especially the different slower gameplay style i really like it!
    shame there not doing bulletstorm 2 but eh hopefully that will be next.

2. Christos Chatzisavvas August 30, 2012 at 9:17 am -

Nick, I like Gears and all, been grinding them all (no pun, eh) for years, but I think a new mode is not what is needed. Some drastic changes to the Gnasher is more sorely needed, especially when you consider the bad netcode each game has. Lag is all over the place, teleporting too, and the Gnasher is an inconsistent shotgunsniper rifle. For example, in the rooms where the athletes are before they go to the pitch in the stadium map (man I’m stuck, Cole’s team’s stadium…), from one side to the other… keep that distance in mind. I’ve been dropped from such a distance multiple times, by a damn Gnasher, while I carried a Retro Lancer, which is essentially very kicking but only because it’s powerful. But no, not against a Gnasher. I didn’t miss a shot, unloaded everything on the other guy, but still, I got downed – not once or twice. That’s my main gripe about Gears, and if it weren’t for OverRun, I would even be skeptical about playing its multiplayer at all.
    PS: “Gears 3 will have dedicated servers”. Yeah.

3. Joshua Tompkins August 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm -

I am a huge gears fan. I have put over a 1000 hrs into gears 1; over 500 hrs in gears 2 and 200 in gears 3. I am honestly getting tired of the series. Bothe the mp and sp has got worse as the series went on and the game is looking less and less like gears with each iteration. When gears 3 launched, it had dedicated servers but they got rid of them a few months later. I am not even excited for this new game.

4. Christos Chatzisavvas August 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm -

It’s still a farce; it was advertised as having dedicated servers, but you needed the newest DLC each time if you wanted to access them. But people only know to claim false advertising over ME3, right? If you’re stealing but EA is not on the box, it’s fine.

5. Joshua Tompkins August 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm -

I agree, it is a farce. It really pisses me off because the mp worked so great to begin with and then you could see when it changed and it sucked. I sick of developers saying one thing and then doing another. They treat us like blind idiots sometimes.

6. nick August 31, 2012 at 10:05 am -

ive never been a big MP fan soi i couldent care less about that.
    SP wise though this looks really interesting!

7. Ghost250 August 31, 2012 at 11:07 am -

even if i had a 360 still, i still wouldn’t buy this game. after gears 3 i lost interest. all three gears are good (the 1st one is the best) but thats all they will ever be though. there is no sense of progression it all feels like im playing the same game. gears 2 felt like gears 1.2, gears 3 felt like gears 1.5.