Weekend Quencher 07/22/11 – Battle Of The “3″, Edition

Listen, if there ever was a war raging in the gaming industry, it’d be against three games on their third journey to notoriety. First you have Resistance 3. The PS3 exclusive shooter first saw its debut on the console as a launch title, and has since then become one PlayStation’s most lauded titles. Then you have Battlefield 3. EA’s been meaning to compete with Activision for a long time in the shooter genre, and the publisher believes it finally has the killer app in DICE’s respected shooter, Battlefield 3. Battlefield 3′s been known for its multiplayer offerings, but DICE has turned things up a notch by adding a single-player campaign to the once PC-only franchise. By the look of things, they’re well on track to created one of this generation’s most applauded first-person shooters.

But then comes Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Infinity Ward and Activision’s most treasured IP will land on store shelves for a third go come November 8th for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that the game will deliver. There’s also no trace of wavering in me that no other shooter will top it in the sales department come fall, and to summarize the situation, there’s no shaky thoughts lingering in my brains concerning the war we as gamers find ourselves in the middle of, aligning with this or that company, showing some sort of allegiance.

“I’m getting Battlefield 3!”, one gamer yells, while another barks, “it’s all Modern Warfare 3 for me!” Then you have the exclusive loyalists spitting vile words at everyone else for not paying enough attention to Resistance 3. So which game do you find yourself being aligned with, if any, in this Battle of 3?

It’s Saturday, July 23rd, friends, the weekend is already upon us.

It’s a mundane weekend for me, actually. I’ll be on the run beginning early tomorrow, but after the day’s gone things will slow to a crawl. Sunday I’ll be at church, and later that evening I’ll hook up with friends and family.

Gaming-wise, I’ll be all up in Killzone 3, milking the game for what its worth until the Resistance 3 and Battlefield 3 betas arrive. Then I’ll say goodbye to Killzone until the fourth installment.

And that’s my weekend, yours? Enjoy it!

10 Comments on "Weekend Quencher 07/22/11 – Battle Of The “3″, Edition"

1. nick July 23, 2011 at 4:36 am -

i dunno about that, aparently BF3 preorders are right up there with MW3s.
    gotta say i was not expecting that!
    lazy weekend for me, dunno why but i feel like a mindless zombie today!
    got no energy what so ever, just wanna draw the blinds and crawl into bed.

2. Ernice Gilbert July 23, 2011 at 7:38 am -

Haha. Well do that then. Sleep a bit longer today! About the preorders, don’t be fooled. Battlefield 3 won’t sell as near as what MW3 will sell. Not even close, to be honest. Pre-order is what hardcore fans do, but when the game comes out, we’ll see if it has legs….

3. nick July 23, 2011 at 10:26 am -

never know theres allot of hype behind it.
    plus DICE are treating their PC fans right, so they have 3 large markets buying there games.
    people stopped buying COD on the PC after the crap they called MW2, BO was even worse!
    even people with 10K PCs could not play it properly!
    was so poorly optimized no matter what graphics card you had you would only be getting max 30% usage and most people could not get above 20FPS!

4. Joshua Tompkins July 23, 2011 at 12:18 pm -

I don’t think battlefield will outsell COD, but i think it will be closer than we think. It will be hard to judge because most of the pc sales will be digital and all the sales reports exclude the digital sales.

5. Ernice Gilbert July 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm -

Nope, most of the sales won’t be digital… why did you conclude that?

6. Ernice Gilbert July 23, 2011 at 1:51 pm -

@Nick, you have a point. It’ll be interesting to see how it fares on PC. Battlefield 3.

7. Joshua Tompkins July 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm -

I am talking about pc sales, which a big chunk of the sales will be digital (even though they are no longer using steam). Consoles sales will not be digital at all. Look at the sales for Battlefield Bad Company 2 pc. According to sales reports, it only sold 620,000 or so, but that does not include digital sales on pc.

8. Ernice Gilbert July 24, 2011 at 6:18 am -

Oh okay got it. Good point. But taking the game off steam didn’t help at all. Although I’m sure gamers will buy it elsewhere.

9. ExclusivesMostly July 24, 2011 at 10:40 am -

B3 and R3 for me. as for this weekend, man i’ve just been partying. haven’t played a videogame yet. we’ll see how today goes though.

10. Ernice Gilbert July 24, 2011 at 8:53 pm -

Cool. Take it easy while you party. I’ll all over Limbo. Will have a review up soon.