Sledgehammer To DICE: You Ship A Game, Not An Engine

by Ernice Gilbert on June 29th, 2011, under Activision, EA, FPS, Hot, News, PC, PS3, Xbox 360

As the release dates for both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare come closer, the mud-slinging is becoming dirtier with each passing day. This time it’s the co-developer of Modern Warfare 3 kicking wet dust DICE’s way, with the studio’s co-founder and general manager Glen Schofield saying, “I’d be a little scared at this point – in June – if I was looking forward to a particular game that wasn’t on the console and running at 60.”

That’s what he said while speaking in a recent interview with AusGamers. When asked about Battlefield 3′s brand new Frostbite 2 engine he said, “You can go out and name your engine and call it whatever you want, right. You know, I’ve done that before, I’ve seen that trick and the bottom line is, this game will run at 60 frames a second. Not sure any of our competitors will.”

“Not sure I’ve seen any of our competitors on the console, especially running at 60 frames a second, and I’d be a little scared at this point – in June – if I was looking forward to a particular game that wasn’t on the console and running at 60.

I think 60 is our competitive edge and you just don’t throw that away. You don’t ship an engine, you ship a game.”

Modern Warfare 3 will be released on November 8th worldwide for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Battlefield 3 will release on October 8th for the same platforms.

1. Wed, 29th Jun 2011 at 3:21 pm

Ok…maybe I drank too much STUPID today, but what exactly is his point??? I don’t see or get what he is trying to say.

2. Wed, 29th Jun 2011 at 4:06 pm

Okay okay so the only thing that mw3 will do better than bc3 is run at 60 fps. This seals the deal i am deffenatly not buying modern shitware 3. you ship a game not an engine… Hmm so people would ratherbuy the same exact thing then a new experience that play completely different than anything else in the series?

3. Wed, 29th Jun 2011 at 7:47 pm

I don’t know…They’re really saying nothing there. All I know is Killzone 3 runs at 30 frames per second (FPS), and it’s the only shooter I play everyday. Ask linglingjr

4. Wed, 29th Jun 2011 at 7:47 pm

:D

5. Thu, 30th Jun 2011 at 4:05 am

not sure any of there competitors run at sub HD either!
    funny how he forgets to mention that!
    funny he forgets to mention 99% of people cant tell the difference between a game running at 30 vs 60 as long as its consistent.
    sub HD well…….. thats a whole other kettle of fish!

6. Thu, 30th Jun 2011 at 4:09 am

if 60 FPS is the only thing there really proud of, the only thing that makes them stand out, then there further up shit creek without a paddle then i thought!
    i knew the whole IW debacle had hurt them……. but not this badly!
    ill take HD, highly destructible environments, non scripted, jets, massive maps, over 60FPS any day of the week!
    as one wise man said oh so long ago, never have i heard such a crock of shit!

7. Thu, 30th Jun 2011 at 6:58 am

Indeed.

8. Thu, 30th Jun 2011 at 10:03 am

this is hilarious, man are they getting desperate or what?!

9. Thu, 30th Jun 2011 at 10:07 am

It does sounds desperate to be honest.