Is This The First Image Of The New Xbox?

Yesterday Develop scored one of the biggest leaks this generation, when one of the site’s sources shared details of Microsoft new console with it, revealing that the new Xbox was already on location at one of EA’s studios. Microsoft and EA both declined to comment on the rumor, giving the talk even more credence. But when I woke up this morning going through my normal routine, I checked the email account associated with the site, and what I saw startled me.

A tipster had sent me what’s apparently the first image of Microsoft’s next Xbox. It looks like the real deal, and like an image that was quickly snapped without authorization. Have a look below the break.

So this is it. The thing looks as real as ever. Yesterday Develop reported that the new console’s shell was yet to be unveiled, and that what EA has received from MS was bodied in a PC shell.

“Quite often when new consoles come around they’re packaged into a PC shell, but actually what’s inside is an entirely new console,” the source said.

“Why let Nintendo steal the thunder in June [At E3]? It doesn’t want to lose momentum. That’s why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3.”

The new Xbox will feature enhanced support for Kinect and will launch by the end of 2012.

10 Comments on "Is This The First Image Of The New Xbox?"

1. Joseph Garrett May 7, 2011 at 8:11 am -

Come on E3 I say. I sceptical about these pictures but who knows what will happen.

2. Ernice Gilbert May 7, 2011 at 9:09 am -

Agreed. E3 2011 should be hot!

3. Joshua Tompkins May 7, 2011 at 11:30 am -

i have to say that is a pc case. with the case lighting and everything, that is a pc case. It is also very dusty. I am sure they would keep the new hardware nice and clean.

4. Ernice Gilbert May 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm -

Good point.

5. nick May 8, 2011 at 5:07 am -

not exactly, have you seen davids dev console?
    i remember when he first announced his first PSN game he did a video and you could see his dev console.
    my god, i have fixed thousands of PCs and consoles in my life, but never have i seen one so dusty!
    miracle the thing still works!
    EA did comment on it, they say its 100% fabrication.
    i doubt its real, theres no need for new consoles ATM.
    if it is, M$ is rushing to be in the me too race, and its going to come back and bite them HARD!

6. Ernice Gilbert May 8, 2011 at 5:59 am -

Develop insists it’s real. I trust them – you knew EA’s vowed to be silent…I really believe it’s out there.

7. nick May 8, 2011 at 10:01 am -

only time will tell.
    i hope not though, releasing a new console now would be a massive mistake!
    what are M$ going to do when we get a new format in a few years time?
    release a new console?
    they released the 360 too early, and look what happened there!
    you would think they would learn from there lessons.
    wonder what disk format they will use……..

8. nick May 8, 2011 at 10:03 am -

i believe EA simply because they always say we dont comment on rumor and speculation.
    that normally means its true but we cant say so yet.
    when they flat out say its a 100% fabrication like they did they mean it.
    oh well, 5 more weeks and will know.

9. ExclusivesMostly May 8, 2011 at 10:39 am -

yeah I’m looking forward to E3.

10. Ernice Gilbert May 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm -

Should really be something.