New Consoles In 2013? Crytek Says Yes

by Ernice Gilbert on January 25th, 2011, under Crytek, Hot, News

Because of Sony and Microsoft’s move into the motion controls market, analysts have said that we might not see the next set of video game consoles until 2014, but if you were to ask Crytek, the developer would give you a much sooner date than the aforesaid.

That’s according to Crytek boss, Cevat Yerli, speaking in a recent interview with CVG.

“… I think when we put Crysis 2 out we will show a level that is, multiplatform-wise, maxing out, but we will look into with Microsoft how Kingdoms can push the Xbox 360 110 percent, to its limits,” he said.

“When you’re spending a multimillion budget only on the Xbox 360, that team will be able to crank out the last two or three percent left in the console. But I think that two or three percent will make the difference potentially between day and night that you cannot afford if you go multiplatform.”

As for the PC, Yerli believes console are severely holding back the platform, forcing said platform to innovate in different ways.

“Because of the lack of a new generation of consoles… inevitably the PC cycle is being held back. So the PC generation has to innovate in different areas where it can be faster and more user-friendly, different models like free-to-play communities, more online, more social and more browser gaming.

These are areas that make gaming faster and more accessible for PC users. That isn’t the case right now and I think they’re areas where innovation can break through and reach gamers faster than on consoles.”

1. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 1:36 am

I just do not like this guy. He is so cocky. When you have created a game that looks better than UC2 or KZ3, then say something. Until then, keep your mouth shut on how much is left the consoles. I know that this mp demo that was just released for Crysis 2 is just a demo, but the game looked good, but it is not as amazing as he says it is.

2. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 3:36 am

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been hearing myself. People say it’s good, but not great.

3. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 3:44 am

i cant see new consoles releasing before 2014.
    yea both systems are starting to see there limits, but we just had motion controls added.
    why would you go spend millions on R&D than further millions making the item, than further millions supporting the peripheral to than replace it with a new system?
    were not in the right economy either, new systems would cost within the 700+ range and i cant see anyone spending that anytime soon!

4. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 3:56 am

So I see Crytek really giving it to PC gamers but not even releasing a demo for said platform of the game that started there. Amazing.

5. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 7:57 am

pretty disgusting!
    they better support this game with heaps of community mods, otherwise im done with them for good!

6. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 8:26 am

Yeah. They should have never done that, though. I mean, support the consoles, but treat you core like this.

7. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 9:01 am

you know im not hype for this game at all, to the point i don’t even want to buy it. it just looks very uninteresting. and gameplay vids of crysis 2 are just leaving a bad taste in my mouth

8. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 12:21 pm

I have played the demo a lot, and it is boring and mediocre at best. To be hyped so much, it does not deliver anything new. It is just another fps with a super suite. If you look on different sites, at what people are saying, you will see that most agree that the demo is not that great. They should have kept it pc only and done a better job.

9. Wed, 26th Jan 2011 at 12:28 pm

Wow. And I was looking forward to this.