GT5 Delay Will Cost Sony “1 Million In Sales” Says Pachter

by Ernice Gilbert on November 4th, 2010, under Hot, News, Polyphony Digital, Sony

Here’s tough talk for ya: Pachter claims Sony will lose millions upon millions because of the latest GT5 Delay.

“Clearly games get a boost from releasing before the holidays, as around 35 – 40% of game sales happen in November and December,” he told Inc Gamers.

“The last announced launch date of November 2 was a perfect window for them, and thought that the game would sell around 5 million before the end of the year.

Over the very long run, they can make up most of the lost sales, but people who buy a racing game like Need for Speed instead may not be as likely to buy a second later.

So a slip out of holiday probably permanently costs them a million in overall unit sales. I think that the game will sell over 5 million regardless, probably close to 7 or 8 million, so it will be hard to quantify the effect of a potential slip out of the holiday.”

Christmas, Yamauchi, we’ll give you until Christmas of THIS year.

1. Thu, 4th Nov 2010 at 2:47 pm

Well, I can almost agree with him. I am not sure if they will loose that many sales, but I think they will lose some.

2. Thu, 4th Nov 2010 at 4:06 pm

wow another patcher prediction, im surprised this guy still has a job, he’s hasn’t been right all year. i mean you would think he would stop predicting before people start to not pay attention to him

3. Thu, 4th Nov 2010 at 4:22 pm

Well I’m not sure if they’ll lose any let alone one million. I mean I don’t think anyone was more mad about the delay than me. And I’m still gonna purchase it.

4. Thu, 4th Nov 2010 at 6:07 pm

That game will sell like loaves on bread during time of famine. Watch and see.

5. Fri, 5th Nov 2010 at 2:46 am

there going to loose allot of sales, most people are just sick of waiting!
    not to mention NFS hot pursuit is looking so good and releases at least 2 weeks before GT5.
    before they had 2 months to push the game for the year, now they will be lucky if they get one.
    not to mention november is the time people do there christmass shopping.
    not to mention december is the time most people go on holidays.
    sony will be doing everything they can to get it out by the end of this month, but i doubt it will.
    just goes to show how freaking unorganized sony are!
    a mere 2 weeks before gold date they decide to hold it back to update the SDK, and what for?
    honestly the unorganized nature of sony is baffling at times, its a freaking miracle they did not go bankrupt decades ago!!!!!!

6. Fri, 5th Nov 2010 at 7:23 am

GT5 can stand on its name alone. It’ll sell better than any other PS3 exclusive ever released.